PDA

View Full Version : Mounting control box and VFD

richards
07-08-2005, 10:59 AM
My 3hp spindle just arrived, so it's time to reconfigure the Alpha. Up until now, the control box has been mounted to the metal frame underneath the Shopbot. Crawling around on my hands and knees is not one of life's little pleasures, so I thought that I would wall mount the control box and VFD. Do any of you have advice on spacing of the two units? (I noticed in one post that placing the VFD too close to the control box caused problems.) Other than spacing the control box away from the wall for better cooling, is there any other precaution necessary (or helpful hints)?

fleinbach
07-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Mike,

I mounted my control box on the outside end of the table with the 3hp spindle VFD also mounted to the end of the table less than 1 foot away. This has caused no problems for me.

I did rearrange the start and reset buttons moving them to the upper right hand corner of the control box door for easier access.

Ryan Patterson
07-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Mike,
When I was having problems the first question support asked was how far was the VFD from the control box and what was the VFD mounted on. My VFD is mounted about 7 ft. from control box.

gene
07-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I dont know if i'm just lucky or what . i have a 3 hp single ph spindle and the control box and the vfd are about 1/2 " apart on a block wall.
i read the forum alot more than i give input but i have not had many problems at all. 1 problem i did have was because the computer was looking for updates but after i turned the updates off it does fine Gene

slendon
07-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Like Frank, I have a 3hp spindle and mounted the control box on the end of the table and moved the start and reset buttons to the front side of the table,(near the conventional 0,0 position) and then mounted the VFD conroller next to them. As per Frank there is a gap of about 12 inches between the two boxes. So far minimal interference..

Steve

richards
07-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys for the responses. I took the easy way out and left the control box on the Alpha's frame but wall mounted the VFD at eye level so that I don't have to crouch down every time I change spindle speeds.