View Full Version : Archive through November 11, 2000

Britoria@direct.ca
11-05-2000, 01:10 PM
I have looked everywhere on the internet for perske spindle specifications and can't find anything. Does anyone know what the db ratings are for one. I know that they are quiet because everyone says so but how quiet. Like a regular induction motor? Also are the speeds variable or fixed.

Any input would be great.

RgEngrave@aol.com
11-05-2000, 02:46 PM
Kevin here are a few sites that might help you.

http://www.crpindustries.com/

http://www.cyberenet.net/~crp/electric.html

Ron

kevin
11-05-2000, 03:51 PM
Thanks ron but I can't read german

Gerald D
11-06-2000, 12:30 AM
A "quiet" motor disappears into the background when the cutter strikes the wood. By far most of the noise is generated by the cutting action, so a dB rating on the motor alone could be misleading, depending on your application.

Chuck Hoose
11-08-2000, 09:29 PM
We are currently using a Perske spindle router on our ShopBot! Had used a Porter-Cable router for years and will say the noise difference is outstanding. The benefits jsut start there however, power, variable speed settings, etc. or some of the other benefits as well. Quite costly but according to the Perske people the motor should last for years. We had been replacing the Porter-Cable routers every year.

kevin
11-09-2000, 01:29 AM
does the perske have a favorable speed range?
How deep and fast are you cutting? Because of power has there been an increase in cut quality?

Gerald D
11-09-2000, 04:02 AM
Further to my comment above that most of the noise comes from cutter; A motor with heavier constuction will absorb cutter vibration better than a lightweight motor (less "resonance"). Therefore I have no problem with Chuck's hands-on observation that the Perske is quieter than the Porter-Cable. dB readings are normally lab measured at no load and this is far from our real world.

Chuck, what is a budget price for the Perske setup (including frequency converter?)?

Kevin, for browsing foreign websites, try going via http://translator.go.com/ You get some good laughs at the "quaint" language at times!

kevin
11-09-2000, 10:59 AM
Hi gerald CRP quoted me a budget price of $2082.00 for the 3hp perske spindle including an inverter. Without the inverter is $1532.00

BoscoToys@thebest.net
11-10-2000, 08:57 PM
In Atlanta I talked with a company that rebuilds spindles and they told me when considering a new spindle to stay away from perske. He said that they are basically disposible units and can't be rebuilt. I asked what he would recomend and he said basically all the other spindle makers are good choices. I have no experience with these spindles, but for what it's worth I thought you might want to know what I was told.

David Fisk

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
11-11-2000, 12:21 PM
I was told by another company that sells both perske and colombo that the colombo spindles were more reliable.

solidart@home.com
11-11-2000, 02:08 PM
I'm running a 5hp Columbo spindle with an electronic controller. From 50 to 16000 rpm it is definitely quieter than my Porter Cable, above that, it is at least as loud. I have had absolutely no problems with it.