PDA

View Full Version : Vista question

curtiss
03-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Vista question

The Toshiba laptop I use on the net / with Vista / is now long overdue for a re-format to simply clean it out after about two years.

I hear some people re-format every six months or so. Things that used to take 1 second now take 15 seconds....

The ShopBot laptop does not go online so it is fine....I have all the e mail settings entered on the SB laptop should that be needed.

I use CA Antivirus / Antispyware which seems to have been pretty dependable over the years.

Any favorite Anti Stuff software I should maybe buy ???

Today, I just got a MS AntiSpyware 2009 alert that says I am under attack and need
to spend $79 on their anti stuff..... is this some new sort of "tax" from Microsoft ??

Any tips on this reformat process besides saving data you hope you will see again ?

Any good website to download some additional instructions before I maybe trash this laptop ???

thanks in advance.

Curtis

jerry_stanek
03-27-2009, 10:13 PM
That is a virus Download Malwarebytes and advanced system care and run that it should clean it. That software is not from Microsoft as they say but from the company that is trying to sell you the removal tools.

curtiss
03-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks Jerry, will check into that.

I thought the "MS AntiSpyware 2009" marketing was a bit annoying for Microsoft to put out in that fashion...

I suppose some will send money to these scammers.

ljdm
03-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Spybot S&D has always worked very well for me. Cleans and immunizes, without alot of bloatware.
Just another program to consider.........

zeykr
03-29-2009, 11:09 AM
'superantispyware' is pretty good too.