PDA

View Full Version : Cable drive?

deanie
01-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Purchased one of the first 4X8 ShopBot cable drives in the 90's but kept upgrading through the years. Today we have a 4X5 very robust moving table cnc that we use every day in our commercial shop. We still call it 'The ShopBot'

gerald_martin
01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Isn't that a work of art?

Kind of like Abe Lincoln's original axe. (the head was replaced twice and the handle three times)

:-)

Happy Botting

joecnc2006
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Any closeup pictures of aspects of mods?

dude
02-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi:
Just jumping and seeing who can help.
Can anyone help me get started on the path to repairing and operating an old cable drive ShopBot? Like running the cables or programming.
Anything would be appreciated!

bill.young
02-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Raymond,

I would suggest seeing if ShopBot has a manual available, but a gallery of all the illustrations from the original manuals are available online at http://www.shopbottools.com/d_elliott_gallery1.htm

The first gallery page is entertaining, but Gallery 2 and Gallery 3 have the assembly illustrations for things like running the cables.

Bill

dude
02-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks very much Bill!
Do you have any ideas where to look for programming info?

bill.young
02-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Raymond,

Unless the ShopBot control box has been upgraded somewhere along the line, you're going to have to use the DOS software which is still available from the ShopBot website. It will run the tool and also have calibration routines.

Did you get any software with the tool? I don't remember when "Vector" CAD/CAM software was included with ShopBots but it was around the cable-drive and PR time. You can use that to create files. Actually just about any toolpathing program that outputs ShopBot .sbp files will work for you, but there have been some new commands added to the language since those days so you might have to do some searching to find a post-processor that will just give you "basic" part files, without the new commands (like the ones that control the spindle speed) that will most likely cause errors.

Your best bet is to get in touch with ShopBot though...they can get you started out.

Bill

chiloquinruss
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Bill thanks for posting that link. I've been on the company website many times and never got down to that particular level. It is a great treasure and it sure shows how far Shopbot has come with their terrific machines. Thanks again. Russ

bill.young
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey Russ,

Yeah...those drawings are a treat!

nailzscott
03-12-2010, 05:24 PM
I have a pdf file of the old cable machine somewhere around here. If you are still looking, let me know where I can email it when I find it.