PDA

View Full Version : Need help routing prepainted aluminum

stingersigns
08-01-2009, 12:06 PM
I can't get my router to cut prepainted aluminum. It starts out nice then starts to melt the aluminum. I can route mill finish nicely but not prepainted aluminum. Any ideas or tips.
thanks.

courtney2018
08-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Can you say what your spindle speed is, feet rate, depth of cut is? Are you using any cutting fluid? What bit are you using?

stingersigns
08-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Using porter cable 19,000 , tried fast feed and slow speeds, shallow and deep depth, no fluid, just air. onsrud 1/8'' single up cut. Just can't find the correct combo with prepainted aluminum.
thanks

courtney2018
08-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the fact that it's prepainted is going to matter. You're saying that the aluminum itself is melting.

When I've machined aluminum in the past I've used speeds around 600 to 800 rpms along with cutting fluid. You can go much faster in that with the spindle speed, but you really need coolant. Otherwise, yea, it's going to melt. To do that you really need a an enclosed CNC that has a coolant spray feature.

If you can drop your speed to 600 to 800 and spray a cutting fluid generously over the part your cutting that should do the trick. Keep your depth of cut no more than about 0.200" I would say. Adjust your feed rate to your liking, but you're going to have to keep it slow. Probably around 1" per second.

I know it's slow, but without a constant spray of coolant I don't know what else to suggest. All of this is just my experience. Maybe someone else here can offer something different.

joe
08-01-2009, 01:04 PM
MR

Your making way too much of this process. With the right bit it will cut like butter.

Try one of the Single O Flutes. The one I like is made by Belin but there is a lesser grade offered by Onsrud.

The feed rate and rpms aren't very important with these cutters.

Good luck

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

rb99
08-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Are you sure it is the same grade of aluminum?

I would check that out first...

As far as cutting fluid, you can manually apply it as you cut. I used a product called Alumacut, which was a thick greeny-blue color, the consistency of dish washing liquid. I would cut slow enough to be able to apply it to the sheet and cutter as it was moving.

RIB

courtney2018
08-01-2009, 04:02 PM
There's many different grades of aluminum. I primarily used 6061. Michael, do you know what grade you are using?