PDA

View Full Version : First batch of signs

xbinbc
06-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Guys, Had the bot for a couple of months now.
Thought I would post some pics of my first projects. Painting the letters was all done by using rubber cement as per suggested by Joe Crumley ( Thanx Joe ). What a great tool this is.
I'm looking for software suggestions to figure out 3d stuff. I have to cut some signfoam with a radius top, similiar radius as an old circular coke sign, remember those. real basic software. Any ideas....

joe
06-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Good looking sign jon.

The layout and choice of letter style is top notch.

Don't go talking about Dr. Crumley's Snake Oil Mask before I even get a pattent on it. I'm going to pour some red or green dye in it, that way no one will figure it out.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

geoff
07-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Looks great Jon. I should be ordering my printer by Friday if everything goes as planned.

Geoff

harryball
07-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Wow... very nice. Are these just clear cedar glue ups for the blanks?

/RB

xbinbc
07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
yes, they are kiln dried cedar, laminated together. I purchase them to size from allwood cedar supply, a wholesale company to the sign trade. Absolutely beautiful cedar blanks.
- way to post Geoff...Good luck with the versacamm.

olf20
07-17-2008, 08:05 AM
jon did you seal the wood before painting the letters? I have trouble with black bleeding.
Bob

xbinbc
07-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Bob, zero bleeding on colours. I seal the wood with clear flecto varathane, 4 coats, then use
Crumley's snake oil mask, Apply vinyl masking,
cut the letters, paint, remove mask and admire the super clean edges.

tim_mcknight
07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Would you care to share the receipe for the snake oil mask? Where do you purchase it?

xbinbc
07-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Tim, I use Elmers rubber cement. I spread it on with a vinyl squeeqe applicator. I don't thin it down. I use it straight out the bottle. Hope this helps

geoff
07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey Jon, your new sign looks great. Did she get her legs back on?

Geoff

xbinbc
08-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey Guys, here is something new. Size is 11" x 23". Pretty tricky getting it to cut cleanly without taking some details with it. I lost the ladies leg on my first try! Depth is .25". I pocketed by using a .125" bullnose bit and .25" bit.Used the clearing method by using the v-carve option. Then to top it off it was double sided. Getting the registration right was tricky. The oval had to be cut out perfectly to match both sides.The lady graphic is 2 pieces of sintra laminated and painted then glued on. Learnt a lot on this one.

Jon
Jon