PDA

View Full Version : Great Olive Caper

ghostcreek
08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Hello All, I have resolved the great Olive caper. I repaired the old sign, and have since been give the job of making more! Here is my copy of the original design I have been "put on a leash" regarding the design, I had to make it similar to the original. Here is my design, going to submit it Wednesday. Any and all comments are welcome. They will be 3'x5', Cedar (perfect plank), and painted. The Olive is "3D", as is everything else. It was the best way for me to solve certain problems. Let me know,

ghostcreek
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Is it me, or does the "Mission" letters look different sizes? Looking at it , it seems i need to resize some of the letters (but upon close-up inspection, they are all the same physical height.
Thanks to any and all who comment.

rb99
08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
I would be careful with the leaves going through the text. From a distance Olive Branch Ranch may get difficult to read.

RIB

cabindoors
08-31-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree with Richard. Don't obstruct the "Olive Branch Ranch" with the leaves.

Tom

ghostcreek
08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the comments. But the leaves through the Company name is a client request. I made them 0.25" Tall, the Text is 0.5" tall. I am hoping the different colors will keep them from bleeding togeather.

joe
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Michael,

When faced with this type problem, I give the letters a slight outline. It doesn't make much differenc if that's lighter or darker. It will define the copy. Give it a try and let us see how you do.

For that you owe me 50 cents.

myxpykalix
09-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Maybe its just me but everytime i look at this sign I NEVER think "olives". What i see is
"Mission Lives". I might put a O in there and have it partially obscured by the olive or have it on top of the olive.
But then again you know what they say..."too many cooks spoil the broth". Just my opinion.

jerry_stanek
09-03-2009, 06:06 AM
I'm with jack on that one. I think it needs an O maybe around the olive.

powerlsc
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Michael,

If you remember from your first introduction of the great olive caper the repeating comment was the sign reads "Mission Lives" and you said the client wanted it left that way. He's looked at it for so long he doesn't see the way others read it.

Keeping the olive prominent but adding a green O offset behind it would probably make all the difference.

Make a mock up and show him how a small addition would improve the readability. (Is that even a word?) The worst he can say is no.

ghostcreek
09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Great suggestions guys. I will work on an outline for the Olive and The Company name. The "Mission Lives" issue is split. I have almost half and half Comments on it (from here and locally). Personally, I see Mission Olives, but it is subjective.
Joe, can I get that 50 cents off my post hole order? Thanks again all. This job is turning into a headache. I have sent this client over 25 revisions, they always return to the original, but with little microscopic changes.Well, the customer is always right (his money). I hate to show my ignorance, but what is a quick way to put a color outline around letters or Objects. I use Adobe Illustrator (v11), and must confess at times bewildered by it. (I am still learning it.) Thanks again to all for suggestions.

myxpykalix
09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
here is my interpretation of the sign