PDA

View Full Version : Lettering

bryan_webb
05-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I would like to do a quick line of letters in the y ,,with type setter ,,instead of x without going into mainmachine settings & changing x&y directions ??? How can I do it ???

joe
05-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Easy to do Bryan,

Set your type as usual. Then, rotate it in your design program. Smooth sailing from there.

Most desing programs also have the option for vertical type setting. Kerning has allways been an technique but can be easily adjusted.

bryan_webb
05-16-2007, 10:13 PM
sorry to take so long to get back to u ,,,,But I been looking and I can not see how to rotate anything in the program Type Setter. that is in the shop bot . Thanks Bryan

joe
05-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Perhaps some else can assist.

All of our desings originate in graphics programs, and can be manupilated there. Rotations, distortions, font conversions, etc. are part of the design process. Without that I'm afraid it's a loss to us.

I'd suggest you consider Corel X3.

www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

knedert
05-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Try using Parts Wizard, it has the vertical function for text.

bryan_webb
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Rose I got reserves all weekend ,,but I'll try it Monday Thanks Bryan

bryan_webb
05-17-2007, 11:10 PM
also thanks for the try Joe

knedert
05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Any Luck, Bryan?
Just checking in to see how it's going for you.

Joe mentioned adjusting the spacing between the letters. This is really important when having the type vertical, since as English readers, we are used to left to right....

Anyway, my best advise on that is to give it the ol' squint test.

Or make it real small on your monitor and have someone else who doesn't already know what it says come over and try to read it. Adjust as necessary upon their reaction.

Good Luck.

chodges
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't know what program you are using, but an easy way to do this with most programs is to type a letter, then press the ENTER key, then repeat this with subsequent letters.

This will create a vertical text object.

joe
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
CH,

It's the Kerning which poses the challenge along with right, left, and center justification of each character.

jhicks
05-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey Joe, I see your comments and have always wondered what "Kerning" meant and how it impacts the font or overall word/design layout.
Can you help explain that?
Thanks

joe
05-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Howdy Jerry,

Kerning is the process of increasing or decresing the spaces between letters. Simple as this may sound, it's a very creative tool. We most often use it with connective script. Where the, lower case, letters are to be joined.

Copy which is set vertically almost always needs special kerning.

knedert
05-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Kerning in a text block that has been converted from horizontal to vertical text is NOT to be confused with leading....
The old typesetter in me would call the space between the verticals: leading... Which would be true IF the letters were individually set by hand with a piece of lead between....
There. Just thought I'd mix it up a bit... ha ha.

Nice border by the way, Joe.

joe
05-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Dang Rose, you are going way back there. Thanks for that reminder. I believe this is also called "Mortising" in typeseting trade. Not many of typsetters, who were melting down lead pigs are still with us. I still miss the look of set type and impressed on a good card stock. I also still miss the smell of the whole operation. Although that was probably a deadly aroma.

Machine set copy, to the artist, needs adjusting on many if not most letterstyles. Often the problem arises on chacacters like "A" or "L" where there's considerable extra visual space created by the architecture of the caracter. Each individual letter style has it's own personality and opens it's self up for kerning.

There are volumes written on the subject but, experience is the best teacher. I think, you only need to know the condition exists and train the eye to keep a look out for improvements.

For me, reading about kerning is much like reading on how to play a piano. You just to do it to learn.

Cam Bortz posted on Letterville a great kerning subject. It's the tightly kerned company logo for Federal Express. The affect leaves an arrow smack dab in the middle of the copy. Can you see it?

bryan_webb
05-23-2007, 11:49 PM
while everone is here,,check this out,, in the shopbot program,,under vital tools,,thier is a thing called,, type setter,, it is working good for me lettering a line of letters in the x direction ,,it just doesn't say x -dir or y- dir ,,now I just wont to lay a line of letters in the y -direction,,real easy,, without changing my hole machine x,y coorants...can I do that real easy ??? Thanks Bryan

garyb
05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Bryan, typesetter only laid out in the X-axis but that was 6 year ago (running under dos control software) for me.
I had a young guy working for me who was doing a project for his mom or someone, anyway we needed to do the same rotation of the text. I believe it was Bill Young who came to the rescue with little exe file that rotated the sbp file for us.

You might send him an email and see if he can help you, if not let me know and I will search my archives for it.

bryan_webb
05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Gary,
OK I'll try that thanks
Bryan

billp
05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Bryan,
Bill is still on the road ( actually the rails as he and his Son are taking the train home from the Jamboree/Maker Faire...) , and last report had him hung up in Nevada with some rock slides. He might not be able to get to a computer for a few days.....

bryan_webb
06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
just checking to see if Bill Young made it back yet ???