PDA

View Full Version : First HDU-EPS sign installed.

joe
08-16-2009, 09:01 AM
This is my first large sign that weighs less than 100lbs and it's a little unnerving. Although it's hardcoated and textured, still, somehow it's so different from my usual heavy product.

One of the challenges is to get comfortable to unlimited possabilities with the advent of EPS and the foam cutting machines. Now I can make any shape, any size, on any part without weight limitations. For example I've wanted to get some depth to my signs without having to conform a metal surrounds. With the hot wire router and a big block of foam new designs are for sure to be forth coming. The only fly in the ointment is the hardcoat.

Anyone interested in this kind of work should look around their own community for a EPS foam company. Many of them have HW routers.

Joe
www.nomansignco.com (http://www.nomansignco.com)

toych
08-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Joe, Very nice did you apply the hardcoat? If so tell us more.....

Darren

donclifton
08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
When your talking about a HW router are you talking about a straight wire cutter.

joe
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Don,

Yes and this looks something like one. I've only taken a quick glance at a couple of them. They all look so simple but do a good job. Why do they cost so much?

www.demandproducts.com (http://www.demandproducts.com) retails them.
Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

donclifton
08-16-2009, 01:14 PM
I made that one. It is kind of a copy of one that sells for $11,000. It cost me around $1500 for the frame and $1000 for the motors and controller. I sell mine for $5000. I cut a lot for a plastering and stone company. The 80/20 frame is costly but works really well. I also make a hotwire cutter for the cnc router that work on a tangential head for cutting madalions out of foam.
Don

joe
08-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I know the HW routers do a great job but they look so flimsey. Wish we had one but can't keep up with what we have now.

Have you thought about making signs with your HW? Do you know of any good hard coat materials for EPS? And how about showing us your HW router invention. That sounds like a money maker.

O, by the way, I took a teaching positition at DBCC back in 1970. I designed their degree program in the Photgraphy Dept. It was a fun time living in Ormond By The Sea.

donclifton
08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
I graduated from DBCC in 1969. I was in the A/C class. Back then the A/C and photography classes were the best. My teacher Charly Maybeck when on to be in charge of the Facilities. He made a deal with the collage that he would work for a percentage of what he could save the collage in energy. He saved so much they reneged on the deal. I retired from The Daytona Beach International Airport as their facilities engineer.
Demand make a hard coat for foam. The company that I do work for coats their foam in concrete. As for my HW tangential cutter I'm trying to market it. You can see some of the madalion's I cut at 4axiscnc.com this site is long from being complete but it has pictures of a chapel in Sanford Fla.

joe
08-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Donald,

I've tried all the hardcoats by Demand. Even their "Rock Hard" is soft. I too have used concrete but it are destroy too much detail. I'm back to Styro Spray as an undercoat for fiberglass spray.

I visited your www.4axiscnc.com (http://www.4axiscnc.com) and it's excellent panels.

Keep us informed.

donclifton
08-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I just added some more pictures. They use the foam for a mold and then cut a plug to put in the back so it doesn't weigh a lot. The medallions in the picture's were made this way. I think they used syro spray also for making molds. When I routed the first medallion It made such a mess and took 10 hour using a 1/2 ball bit. with the tangential cutter I can do the same medallion in less than 30 min and have the plug they need. Take another look at 4axiscnc.com for the other pictures.
Don Clifton

joewino
08-17-2009, 09:50 AM
"They all look so simple but do a good job. Why do they cost so much?"

Just like you, Joe.

joe
08-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Don,

They all look good. I'm excited about the possabilities of using EPS.

Do you think the heat controll sold by Demand is the right way to go. I could make one but it probably wouldn't look very professional.

donclifton
08-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I use a 1000 watt 102 volt transformer and a router speed controller. The guy that makes one like mine but for twice as much just uses a router speed controller and 110v wall power. I wouldn't suggest that. The transformer gives you some Isolation. A 10' wire take about 80 volts depending on your wire size. I do uses their wire. I use 1lb and 2lb foam, and deskcnc or foamworks for software.
Thanks
Don

donclifton
08-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Joe, If your thinking of making a hotwire cutter Gecko drives have a special going on till I think the 27 of this month. I use nothing but gecko drive and you can't find a better company to deal with. For my hotwire machine I use their 540 drive. It normally sells for $300 but Its only around $230 during the sale.
Good luck
Don

joe
08-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks Don,

I'm not interested in making a machine. I would like to have the ability to cut some simple shapes though.

Where could I buy a 1000w transformer?

Joe

donclifton
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
ANTEK He also sells on ebay. He is in NJ. The transformer I use is one that I rearranged the leads to get the voltage but if you call him he can make one up for you. If your not going to use 10 feet of wire you might get by with a battery charger or a lower voltage supply. Are you just going to make a bow?
Don

donclifton
08-18-2009, 09:12 PM
You don't want a power supply just a transformer no diode's. AC works very well.
Don

joe
08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Don,

Let me give you an example of what I would like to try.

The photo above is a good example. I could cut the front and back shape from HDU, MDO, or any substrate and sandwich some EPS in the middle. With the hard edges, I should be able to go around the sign with a bow. What do you think?

Joe

donclifton
08-19-2009, 08:06 AM
That would work, A lot of foam cutters still use a bow. Most cut out the shape on plywood and follow the shapes with the bow.
Don

dakers
08-19-2009, 12:13 PM
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/slmohr/rcinterest2.htm

is this good information? go to link
i had thought about using a hot wire bow with wood templates as well but not sure i want to get into that work that much.

donclifton
08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Power supply is based on wire length and the resistance of the wire. More resistance more voltage to heat wire. I don't use nicrome wire. I use inconel makes for a better cut. don't buy wire on ebay I have a drawer full of useless wire from ebay. If your using a plywood template I think you just need a bow. There are a lot of youtube video of people cutting foam with a bow. I have never used a bow, I'm a cnc type guy, computer's do thing much better than I will ever be able to do. you know this you have a shopbot.
I hope this help
Donald Clifton

frank_horrell
08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Mr. Joe, how was this sign secured in the ground.

Thanks
Frank

joe
08-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Frank,

I had the EPS foam company to install 4" PVC pipe in the sign. The pipe goes from the top down. To install, we glued PVC cuffs and 3' of pipe on. Since the whole sign was very light, so it wasn't any trouble picking it up and plopping in the hole.

It was necessary to widen the top of the holes for the cry sacreete.

I have two more EPS signs in the making. Should be fun.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)