PDA

View Full Version : Priming / Painting that nasty extira

GlenP
02-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Well I know this topic has came up before but I am going to bring it up in hopes to get any up to date testing on how to beat this stuff and make paint stick. I had never had any issue till now. I used a paint mask and when removing the mask it took the paint with it (said a few words I can't repeat here). I always prime with BMoore fresh start oil based paint and then we were top coating with a latex acrylic. Done it before and worked great, have sign outside the shop 2 years old with no issue. I guess I got a batch of extira that had inconsistent resins as per suggested in past posts. Does anyone has proven techniques for prep and painting? At least my paint issue is on a sign that is a freebie with no due date but I have committed to doing it.

joe
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Glen,

Perhaps you could do a search on painting Extira.

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 7:19 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim,

Ok, lets take it from the top.

Several years ago, when Extira made it's way on the market, we started using it but there were intermitent failures. The most offen was when applying vinyl letters. When the transfer mask was being removed, sometimes off came the paint.

There was lots of flap on wwww.letterville.com (http://www.letterville.com) about it. Like you, some of us got by for a while but every now and again it would fail.

There were suspecions the amount impregnated Phenolic Resins were heavier on some batches. Anyway I found by rolling on a diluted solution of epoxy solved the problem. This was just another step I din't want to take. Fortunately one of the SB contributors sent in a simple solution that really works. Give the panel a quick wash off with soap and water to get rid of the oils. That really works.

Now we take a good scrub brush, soap and water and hose it down. This gives a beautiful soft surface for the primer to stick to. We move about a dozen sheets a week through the shop and this has solved the problem.

Note: Extira is very water resistant. Water based primers don't stick as well as oil based primers. Oil and water don't mix very well.

Good luck,

It's been years since I've had any problems however the best way to avoid these problems is use some other substrate.

Our main products are HDU and Extira.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

GlenP
02-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi Joe, I did a search and reviewed several posts including yours above but just thought I would ask as well.
Thanks,
Glen