PDA

View Full Version : Sculpt Nouveau, B or C

rick_d
07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm getting ready to try my hand at doing a Sculpt Nouveau finish and am wondering if the "C" coating is worth the extra trouble and expense. I'm planning to try Bronze with a tiffany green patina and maybe a darkening wax.
Rick.

joe
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Rick,

It's two coats of "B" followed by two coats of "C". If you don't use the latter you won't be able to burnish and buff the surface.

rick_d
07-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank You Joe, are the two "B" coats just a primer?

joe
07-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Rick,

Yes, the B solution is less expensive. You could use C all the way on small objects and that wouldn't be very expensive.

The surfacing acids (Patina's)will disolve the spring in the spray bottle. It's best to immediately remove the spray nozil from the acid when finished and back spray the remainder into it's bottle. Then quickly circulate some water through it.

Next year I'll be doing another workshop and will devote a full day to the tricks of Sculpt Nouveau. Hope you will attend.

Joe
www.normansignco.com./workshop.htm (http://www.normansignco.com./workshop.htm)

rick_d
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Wish next year was here, I'm ready to learn! Sign me up and in the meantime, I'll try to learn what I can.

This is the piece I'm working on, its a prototype for an entry door panel that I've been wanting to do. I'm going to use HDU as the panel material in a traditional wooden rail and stile door. Seems like a good idea to me.

Anyway, I've carved this out of 20lb Cora Foam and I like the detail, but the surface is a little gritty. How smooth do I need to get it to get a good bronze effect?

joe
07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Rick,

Nice image. Now you gotta finisher up with an equaly nice look. GULP.

From here you have several options when it comes to textures and finish. For example, the dress and person could be primed and sanded, bringing it to a glass smooth surface, leaving the other area's with the texture.

I try to keep the medium or machinery from telling me what's possible. Your'e the artist here, so go for it.

O, keep in mind if you absolutely hate the affect you get with a particular SN finish, no problem. Just recoat it with some other affect. It's hard to screw up beyond redemption. Which is to say, if you go for Brass and decide Bronze would look better. Just recoat it with Bronze.

Your biggest problem will be inhibition!

joewino
07-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Joe - ordered my supply of Sculpt Noveau yesterday for an upcoming project. I'll let you know how it turns out.