PDA

View Full Version : Lithophane Christmas

joewino
12-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I'll post this in the sign section since that is what I do for a living.

This is a lithophane I did of our grandchildren as a Christmas present for my wife, Jeanne.

Overall size is 9" x 14". Face is 3/16" acrylic.

It was designed with ArtCam Pro and produced on my ShopBot PRTalpha.

phil_o
12-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Very nice Ray. Good looking kids too.

Gary Campbell
12-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Raymond...
Nice! I think there is some woodworker in there along with the signmaker.
Gary

phil_o
12-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Looks like you come up with a light source that works very well.

joewino
12-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Phil - the light is a 13" florescent unit normally used for under counter kitchens(from Home Depot). I replaced the rocker switch with a lamp cord that has a switch in-line.

It gives a softer light without having a bright spot, plus it doesn't build up as much heat. There are some holes in the back to allow for ventilation.

donclifton
12-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Have you thought of using white LED's. This could be mounted between the face and clock movement and produce 0 heat.
Thanks
Don Clifton

navigator7
12-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Raymond, is the lithopane three pictures (Of the stunningly attractive kids) combined into one or is this one photograph?

From the time you pushed start....how long did the carving process take?

joewino
12-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Chuck - I took three photographs and combined them into one using Photoshop. While there I cropped them down and adjusted the contrast, and converted them to gray scale.

And I agree, they are very attractive kids...but then I'm prejudice. The young lady is our first grandchild and just turned 18 yesterday. The boys are both 13.

LED's would probably work well too, but I was on a limited budget and having to use what I could find around the studio and locally. The light was actually bought with a Gift Card that I had received earlier.

The process took about 90 minutes.

myxpykalix
12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
hey Raymond you should do a search for and use "cold cathode lights". They emit almost no perceptible heat, are rated to run continuously for 30,000 hours and are cheap. A pair of 12" lights are around $8.00 and a wall wart plugin less then $10.00.
They give you a nice even glow across the whole length without any hotspots and you never have to worry about any heat buildup.
Cold cathode lights are the same kind of lights the grocery stores use in their refrigerated boxes like where the milk is displayed, next time you are at the store check them out only the ones you buy are WAY smaller. Here is one link for future reference:
http://www.xoxide.com/dual-white-cold-cathode-kit.html

jerry_stanek
12-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Jack what if your litho is a standard 8 X 10 picture? The nice thing about led lights are they are cheap last up to 100,000 hrs no heat and you can run them off a 12 volt battery if power is not available.

navigator7
12-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Is there a size limit to lithos?
Transparency of the carved piece and a suitable light source, I suppose?
Depth of cut exceeds the material available?

joewino
12-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't think that there would be any size restrictions - getting even light across a large litho would seem to be the biggest problem.

Of course, the depth of cut cannot exceed the thickness of the material or you have a hole in your picture.

Thanks for the link Jack. Do these just plug in or do you have to adapt them in some way? Could they run off a battery also?

billp
12-29-2009, 09:54 AM
The only limitation is how large a sheet of material you can fit on to your table...Here's one that Bob Dodd ( on left) did a few years ago. It's not even his largest which was close to 11 feet long...(and may be posted somewhere in the archives of the Forum if you do a Google search)

myxpykalix
12-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Raymond the cold cathode lights i use take a wall wart plugin and if you email me i can send you a wiring tutorial that someone else created (i'd like to credit him if i knew).

Jerry talks about leds and i see them being adapted for use in many things so he may be on to something there, i just have never used them and like the solid even glow of cold cathode.