PDA

View Full Version : Hemingways Residences

joe
03-21-2009, 12:10 AM
She's close to being finished. I've gotta lay some 23K and a clear coat.

This is a HDU sign with three colors of epoxy poured over each other to give a marble look. The letters were textured to give a gold nugget look.

Looking back, if I were to do this job again I'd probably use the V Carv technique to save time. The main problem with that technique is it can be hard to read.

Decisions, Decisions

benchmench
03-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Its beautiful now and will be stunning with 23K. How did you carve the overlapping lines?

joe
03-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Dan,

Thanks for the complement.

This whole file was very straight forward. Nothing tricky. After a profile cut around the letters and a area clear on the background, I took a chisel and roughly lowered some letter parts. I even used a mean old crude rasp in some area's to give it an aged look. This is easy work.

I hate to see her go.

joewino
03-21-2009, 09:19 AM
It's good to see an old guy hanging in there and doing fantastic work. Congratulations, Joe. I've admired your work ever since I was a little boy.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

jhicks
03-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Stunning! Can't wait to see with the goal leaf. Beautiful design and implementation as usual.
WOW!

curtiss
03-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Very, very nice Joe.

What font is "Hemingway" ?
Is it actual handwriting dropped in somehow ?

cdj

powerlsc
03-21-2009, 09:32 PM
I learn so much when you post pictures of the signs in progress as well as the finished job. Thanks.

What brand of clear coat do you use? I was originally taught not to coat but that was up north and this Texas sun is brutal.

Lynn

joe
03-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks fellows.

Curtis,

Hemingways isn't a font. I found the concept and used a Stadler marker to render the file. Then a quick scan in my graphic program, FlexiSign. After setting the copy "Private Residences" the ovals were made.

Lynn,

Epoxy doesn't have much UV protection so it's necessary to give it a healthy coat or two of clear. I use Matthews but Dupont would work just as well. These are catalyised.

I'm very aware of the risks with this kind of work and I've take every precaution I know of to keep them in good shape. There's also a larger background oval from Extira. It's the carrier for the panel and I sealed it with epoxy. There are three coats of latex on top. This will be attached to the brick wall first. The HDU panel will be screwed to that. This is insurance in case there is a problem down the road.

khaos
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Now I want to make one for my house. Very cool. Its a really clean design and after the 23K ... mmm mmm good!

signtist
03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
3 questions Joe. . . . .
How big is the sign?
How many ounces of each colored epoxy did you mix?
What did you spread it with to get a simulated marble look?
I'm asuming you mixed a blackish green, medium green, and a light green.

joe
03-24-2009, 08:03 PM
John
32"X65"

It took about a quart of Epoxy. I mixed in a tablespoon of dark green One Shop. It was quickly lathered all over. A coulple of smaller cans of lighter and darker colors were drizzled around. Then I tilted the panel from side to side.

I was very concerned my gold leaf skews would attach to the epoxy and know for sure epoxy isn't UV Stable, so I gave her a light coat of Matthews clear.

joe
03-26-2009, 09:02 PM

myxpykalix
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Joe,
I like the way you post just the picture with nothing else because your work speaks for itself....

GlenP
03-26-2009, 10:07 PM
As always, beautiful job Joe. Thanks for posting final pics. I was anxious to see it.
GLen

joewino
03-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Fantastic job, Joe....as usual.

powerlsc
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Very classy, Joe. The final paint effect looks very regal. Thanks for sharing.

audiodemon
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
That looks great Joe. i love the "marbled" effect .. schweet.

khaos
05-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Hey Joe, whats a Stadler marker?

Also, with the rough gold nugget edges was the 23k work difficult? I am looking at flattering you with some duplication ;)

I haven't done any Gold leaf but I intend to on this project. Gold is gold and paint ain't. right?

pro70z28
05-01-2009, 01:06 PM
That is VERY cool.