PDA

View Full Version : Signfoam and luminore and 3d

dakers
07-29-2009, 12:20 PM
this one we did in signfoam. it was coated with luminore. I think we lost sleep over this one.
There were several made. the largest approx. 8x8
the train was fashioned after an actual scale train. the other 3d work was from drawings and photographs. We did all the files except had to have someone else to the train file.

This sign we was made approx. 6 years ago so i forget

http://www.luminore.com/

joe
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Dick,

Backing up, do you think this job could be done today without Luminor.

Luminor takes some real bucks to get into. I don't think it's a realistic surface for the little fellow.

What do you think?

Everything abou this sign reeks of beauty. Wish I'd have done it.

Joe

zeykr
07-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Very nice sign!

dakers
07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Joe,this was ordered by Cleveland Metroparks/zoo. they have their own sign department and very talented people who seem to have wanted us to use the luminore. We did most of the files in corel except for the train and bridge. Northcoast Signs (Jim Hamilton) previous owner of Northcoast Signs and writer for sign publications helped us get the scans we needed to do the 3d work on the model train and tressle. Northcoast also applied the Luminor. Jim wrote reviews for sign trade magazines on products like the Gerber router, Luminor and other products at the time so i think he was able to buy into Luminor a little cheaper to demo it and write about it than we could. As i recall it was a $10,000 initial investment to get started with Luminor. Because we sold this job we purchased ArtCam to be able to do it. Back then ArtCam and 3d was young in the sign industry and there were not many shops making signs like this as there are today. That is the history of the sign but your question was would we use Luminor if we had a choice.
The answer is we have not met anyone wanting to spend that much for a luminor sign that large. But they are the first customers to demand it. I have mixed feelings about the color and choice of coating. I try not to be too subjective because the customers have beaten that out of my thinking over the years. The expectations were extremely high by everyone. I forget the final pricing. I will see if it is in our cyrious program and post the price too.

joe
07-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Well, still it's a good looking piece. It reminds me of the detail work I've seen in turn of the century German Designs.

Do you know anything about the product, Luminor and why it costs so much? There must be something majic about it.

I want some!

gabepari
07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I think Dick found Joe's source in China

Nice work!!!

Gabe

jimmya
07-30-2009, 05:03 PM
I didn't think those post holes were made in the USA. The word is getting out.

billp
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Joe,
You really may NOT want to play with Luminore...It is a form of heavy metal suspended in a fluid carrier. It is strongly recommended that you use a "separate air supply" when using the product as with any heavy metal you ingest, it is probably not beneficial to your health.It's probably not even good to have it on your skin either. I had heard stories of some shops using "disposable labor" for the application process at a trade show years back.....
Then there IS the expense. I think the price was "down"to $4500 a couple of years ago for the starter kit, and then re-fills were priced accordingly. That did not include the training classes which I believe were mandatory before signing on to the program.
I may be wrong in some of this info, and I'd ask anyone with personal experience to correct me if I am.
On the plus side, it IS beautiful when applied properly...

dakers
07-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I worked with lead paint for decades.....i am heavier now...and do not remember things....my wife put anniversary card on my side of bed and when i woke i realized i had to get the lead out....
heavy topic.

joe
07-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Ok Boys, settle down.

No, Dr. Crumley's Post Holes, aren't made in China.

Thanks Bill for the precautions. I can always count on you.

I'm considering getting a Sculpt Nouveau dealership. Debby, Sculpt Nouveau;s VP, suggest I give a free workshop or two. That will be loads of fun. They have several new cold patina's to choose from. One is their Rainbo patina which is either hot or cold and can be used on aluminum.

She's been very supportative of all of us. It's a good company and great product.

rb99
07-31-2009, 12:46 AM
Is there anything else that has a real metal look?

Any automotive bumper paint or something?

It would be nice to get a shiny metallic finish without too much cash outlay or hoops. (Or health issues)

Thanks,

RIB

ghostcreek
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Great work Dick, I enjoy seeing what the Pro's can do. It inspires me to go farther. I also am interested in Sculpt Nouveau, after reading an trade article about it. I hope to see and touch one soon. Any west coast jobs anyone knows about? Thanks for sharing, makes my day.