PDA

View Full Version : FONT COMPOSED OF VECTORS

MARK HOLM (Unregistered Guest)
01-15-2004, 11:08 AM
I've been searching for a font composed of simple vector strokes. More specifically, each character stroke would be a line without width, rather than a two-dimensional object. Then I could machine along vectors to create a letter with a stroke width equal to my bit diameter.

Is there such a font? Can anyone suggest where I can get it? Thanks in advance.

MH

stickman
01-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Mark,

I've been looking for a font like that myself.

Have you tried a thin font like avant and machined along vectors. It might give you what your looking for, using an 1/8 bit. I haven't tried it yet, but that would be my thought.

Jay

mark holm (Unregistered Guest)
01-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Jay,

I did try that. It yielded lettering strokes that were close to 1/4" thick. The result was OK, but I'd like letters with strokes of 1/8" thickness. Thanks for your input, however.

MH

wdyasq@bigfoot.com
01-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Many older CAD programs had single line fonts. I had them in GenericCADD and VisualCAD and there were some in AutoCAD. VECTOR also has single line fonts.

mark holm (Unregistered Guest)
01-16-2004, 11:09 AM
My experience with importing text from a CAD program is that PartsWizard won't recognize them at all. Will the fonts in Vector transfer as a font file (.TTF)?

MH

gerald_d
01-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Mark, this (http://www.deskam.com/deskengrave.html) may be of interest to you. It is free and it works well, except that AutoCad doesn't like its dxf files. However, the files work fine in Vector and TurboCad. The Stick40 font in this Deskengrave is a single stroke font as far as I could quickly see.

edcoleman
01-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Mark,

As Ron pointed out, some CAD programs use single line fonts. I've used some that were included with Turbocad and use the extension *.shx. You may want to do a forum search here for the term "single stroke fonts" there may be some more detailed info available

-Ed

stevem
04-03-2004, 10:53 PM
This is a site with a lot of free fonts.
http://www.simplythebest.net/fonts/

canyontxshop
04-04-2004, 12:12 AM
I have found that if you are bringing in a font from AutoCad into Parts Wizard you must first go in and explode or drop the font into individual lines first and then it will show up,machine over it etc. If you don't it will not even show up.

dave_draper
04-10-2004, 09:43 AM
I'm new to routing, but I can't believe there are little or no single line fonts avaialable.

How do you "V" carve or engrave if there are no single line fonts?

I have never had a reason to use a single line font in 30 years of sign making, and just assumed they must exist for routing.

ron brown
04-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Dave,

To carve many Truetype fonts you use the "Typesetter" program with V3 software. There are some single stroke fonts out there. They may or may not route properly.

Ron

K. Simmerer (Unregistered Guest)
05-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Corel Draw trick for centerline trace. Lay out your text in Corel Draw and convert to Bitmap at a fairly high resolution (start around 300DPI for an 8.5x11 page layout). Take the bitmap into Corel Trace and do a centerline trace. Save the vector trace as a DXF and you are ready to rock with a centerline font based on any font style. Sounds a little more complicated than it is. Takes only a few minutes if you are familiar with OCR trace. If you are not, it's a good excuse to learn how to use and tweek it.

Happy Botting
Keith