PDA

View Full Version : Rafix and Bit wear

bill_lumley
09-20-2009, 05:00 PM
With the inclusion of the Link capability in my cabinet making I have taken the plunge and started using Rafix style connectors . It is reasonably straight forward to get the correct drilling but I have noticed by the end of a run of cabinet parts my 20mm holes are getting too small to insert the connector in and the hole also appears to be displaced toward the edge of the part causing some of the connector to protrude beyond the board .

I assume after cutting 20 sheets of melamine that my bit is worn and smaller in diamater than when I started the run . Has anyone experienced this issue and if so how have you handled it ? I am thinking I need to calibrate my bit every 6 or 7 sheets and enter the new diamater in the tooling paramaters or change bits sooner . My outline cuts are still in good enough shape for edgebanding at the end of the run but maybe I am pushing that bit too far . I use a 1/4" compression bit from centurion. I cut at 3"/sec. on a PRS standard with two passes . I 'drill' the 20 mm hole with the interpolate function .

Thanks Bill

Gary Campbell
09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
BIll...
What version of the Link are you using?

Have the interpolated holes been cutting in the climb or conventional direction?

How many holes per sheet?

Have you mic'ed the bit to see if it getting smaller?

If you bore a lot of the 20mm holes, you could do your Rafix holes with a 20mm boring bit or if you have a spindle, turn the RPM way down.
Gary

bill_lumley
09-20-2009, 08:09 PM
All good questions . I should have the answers

Version 13
I had not thought to check if they are cut in climb or conventional . There is no paramater for this .

Holes per sheet - only about 1/2 the sheets have the holes and maybe 20 holes per sheet .

I have not miced the bit but I will pick up a mic this week to start keeping track of this .

To drill with a boring bit I would need another air drill and I would like to avoid that . I have a 4 X8 table and I just fixed the legs so I can get full drill coverage in the X direction but I don't think I have enough room to move in the Y direction to accomodate another drill beside the current one .

Gary Campbell
09-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Bill...
Some points to ponder:

I have found a few areas, where, even tho there is no parameter, we were getting climb cuts and inadequate results. The guys at Thermwood have fixed every one so far. I dont do Rafix, so I had to ask.

Version 15 is out... there are some improvements that may help your situation.

IF your move speeds are slow, AND your are cutting climb mill, your bit will heat and burnish, not cut the holes.

You can drill with a 20mm bit, change and then go on to the rest of the sheet. Takes a minute, but many of us are doing this.

With a PRSstd, if you have room for 1 drill, you have room for 2.
Gary