PDA

View Full Version : Komacel

loriny
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I am curious if anyone has been using Komacel. It seems to be my closest available type of sign foam. thank you
Lorin

billp
04-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Lorin,
Komacel is very similar in cutting properties to many of the other PVC foam composites such as Komatex, Celtec, Azek, Sintra, etc. You'll find a lot of info on this Forum regarding cut speeds, etc.

dakers
04-20-2009, 03:36 PM
there are pros and cons.
questions:
1. interior or exterior
2. size and thickness
3. budget issues
4. how installed and type install (wall, post, hanging)

my experience:

pvc is ok if adequately supported and installed if you use the thicker grade 1"+
I have had problems with pvc signs not installed properly in hot temps remaining dimensionally stable, warping etc. Especially with dark backgrounds.
like sign foam better if budget allows for long term durability and appearance for exterior signs. Of course that needs adequately installed also. I can see why pvc is such an attractive material. it is easy to use. I would use the thickest sheet.

The manufacturer would like signs to be made from pvc and have posted many articles to help you make a decision. you can google celtec, sintra too. I am sure they are constantly making improvements in the products limitations and applications.

You can talk to their tech support too. I have had some negative experiences because i never asked questions like you are doing. You are on track.

http://www.kommerlingusa.com/KomAlu/outdoorPVCUsage.html

gcox2
04-20-2009, 08:39 PM
OK! At the risk of sounding stupid.........I have been in contact with Kay miller from Precision Board.....they supply sign boards from 1/2" to 24" thick and either 5 x 12 or 4 x 8.....different densities fron 15 ? to 24? e-mail is www.precisionboard.com (http://www.precisionboard.com), their # is 1-800-845-0745

cbradshaw
04-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Gary,
I am not sure if you know, but precision board is a brand name for one of the companies that makes HDU. It is a excellent material for outside signs and machines like butter. However, it is made in my opinion to be mounted to a wall etc and not free standing between two posts unless you use a very thick material.

I use it a lot because it is easy to paint and will not warp, rot or crack. The downside of it is that it will break and if I have an area that is prone to vandalism I won't use it.

dakers
04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
It is good to study as many products as possible.
I learn so much from google now days.

Precision board is High Density Urethane. that would be like the signfoam but different than the Komacel PVC material.
They are really two great products and do have overlapping characteristics on some applications.
The thickness used would depend on the application. We have used mostly 1.5'' to 3'' precision board. they measure the pvc in millimeters. the 19mm could work on some routed sign applications.

Here is a sintra link
http://www.alcancompositesusa.com/prod_sintra.html

here is celtec which has 25mm
this link is for a pdf 100 page user guide.
takes a few minutes to load

http://www.cpg-vycom.com/protected/files/Celtec_User_Guide.pdf

joewino
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Gary, I think that the person at Coastal (Precision Board) is Kellie Miller, not Kay. She is an excellent rep for them and knows a lot about the various products on the market. Whatever she tells you will be correct.

We use HDU for most of this type work. The PVC panels have trouble with our Texas heat.

gcox2
04-21-2009, 11:51 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how much you folks know about this stuff! I knew that if I shared my private little discovery (about precision board) that you would lead me on the right track. I appreciate all of the information and will put all of these pearls to good use.
Gary

zeykr
04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
If it's available in your area, give Kleer PVC sheet a try. It's pvc like komacel etc but it's compressed to density about that of pine and is available with nice woodgrain on one side. I think it carves better than Azek or the sign supply house PVC sheet.