PDA

View Full Version : Woodworker needs help from the sign guys

oddcoach
10-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi all
I have a job to cut a logo and some letters out of 18 lb signfoam. It is an interior application.
I need to put studs in the back to fasten it to the wall( sheetrock). I was going to make a drilling template out of 1/4 inch plywood. My question is what kind of glue do I use to secure the studs to the foam, or do i put the studs in the drywall and just push the letters on after. I know I would need to drill pilot holes in the foam for the latter method. there is no background to the sign.
thanks
John

den73160
10-04-2006, 10:37 AM
John I have seen and used GE Silicone to attach the studs to the foam and also in the wall to hold them in place. Also for the drilling plate regular old paper works just fine and costs ahold lot less.

joewino
10-04-2006, 12:38 PM
We just make a paper pattern for the studs and mark where the holes will be drilled with an X. Then level the paper pattern on the wall, drill holes for the studs where the X's are and push the logo onto the wall.

Drill a hole in the back of the HDU, fill with epoxy and push in the stud. Normally, we use GE silicon (clear) for mouting the letters to the wall. The same process is for interior and exterior.

I wouldn't suggest trying to push the foam over the studs that were installed in the wall first.

joe
10-04-2006, 10:37 PM
John,

You probably don't realize it but you've just reccived two experts advice on the subject. They know this subject by exeperience. Commercial guys both.

J.
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

oddcoach
10-05-2006, 08:48 AM
THANKS GUYS
I didn't even consider the paper route.
john

nappy1
11-03-2006, 07:37 PM
John,
Most recently I have been using Velcro for interior and exterior. It makes the job real easy and it won't fall off.

oddcoach
11-04-2006, 09:58 AM
How are you attaching the velcro to the foam. Do you use the peel and stick kind?
john