PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Speed

nat_wheatley
12-19-2009, 07:54 AM
In tooling, the speed I have entered for each tool is not applied to the machine. Should it be? I've always entered it manually at the spindle control box. PRS Alpha with a HSD 4HP Spindle.

dlcw
12-19-2009, 11:57 AM
SB Link I presume?

I know that when I create the cut file I've seen the spindle speed set at the beginning of the file. However, I have not looked further into the file to see if it changes with bit changes. I will have to check that out more closely in the next cut job.

Don

bob_s
12-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Nat;
I have a non SB Link problem with speed changes and my HSD spindle. If the spindle is running it will ignore the speed change command. If it is stopped it works fine. Ryan thinks it has to do with electrical interference between my cables -somewhere- but I can't find it. If you find that the software is sending the signal and it is ignoring it, I would suggest you call Ryan at Shopbot and he could walk you through how to try and track it down. I cut from Aspire and Cabinet Parts Pro, so I just put a spindle stop in my post processor before the speed change is sent and all is happy as a work around.
Bob

dlcw
12-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I've noticed during my spindle warm up routine that spindle speed changes but the little window that displays the spindle speed doesn't change to show the new speed. Not sure what is going on here.

Don

porscheman
12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
If you want to change the cutting RPMs "on the fly" when using the Link, then you first need a spindle RPM board from ShopBot as part of your setup - hopefully that's obvious..... :-)

Once the spindle RPM control is installed and working, then the Link most definitely will change the speed to whatever setting you have configured in the Tooling section. For example, I cut my blind dados at a different feed and speed that my perimeter and outline cuts.

I struggled for the better part of 2 or 3 months to diagnose my initial communication glitches between the spindle RPM board and my VFD. I was only getting correct RPM changes to my VFD about 1/3 of the time, which was effectively useless. As Bob mentioned, ShopBot suggested looking for cable interference and/or poor USB communication to the board.

Two changes to my wiring setup finally resulted in 100% communication integrity with the VFD/spindle. First, I'm made sure that the length of the USB cable going to the RPM board was 6 feet or less. This was tough because my VFD is located about 35 feet away from the ShopBot PC. But this challenge was addressed by the second half of the wiring solution, which was to remove the RPM control board from inside the VFD faceplate (where the installation instructions show it should be installed) and relocate it next to the ShopBot PC. To reconnect everything, I simply replaced the short pigtail wire from the RPM board with a 40' cord that would reach the VFD. Performance has been flawless since those changes.

I'm no electrical engineer and thus I can't confirm the likelihood of interfere between the VFD and the RPM board, but as Bob pointed out, it was nearly impossible for RPM changes to be transmitted while my spindle was turning. With the spindle stopped (and I'm guessing far less interference created by the VFD), the changes would usually work. In the new cabling configuration, those speed changes can be sent at any time, making the Link that much more effective and making spindle warm-up a breeze.

Hope these suggestions help.

John

nat_wheatley
12-19-2009, 05:30 PM
John,

I'm not entirely sure I do have the spindle RPM board. I'd assumed it was part of the original package I purchased, but that may not be the case.

Anyone on how I figure out if I do have it? Thanks.

Gary Campbell
12-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Nat..
1) you would have had to install it.
2) There would be a USB cable going to the board.
3) Pictures here: (bottom of page) http://www.shopbottools.com/accessories.htm
Gary

nat_wheatley
12-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Fairly sure I don't have one...I'll take a look in the morning. Thanks.

SomeSailor
04-17-2011, 09:07 AM
I believe they come installed on all new HSD spindles now. That was one of my first surprises when I saw an extra USB cable laying there during assembly. :)