PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a tuboat sign.

knight_toolworks
12-04-2008, 04:36 PM
not sure if this will be for thresh water or salt but anyway I have a couple of name boards to make. either out of ipe or mahogany. the customer wants gold paint on the inside letters and gloss varnish for the face. I would like suggestions for this application since it is extreme. I will brush both. they are high up so brush strokes won't be an issue.
if possible something I can get at a paint store like rodda and such. I have a couple of sign shops here too to choose from.

lstovall
12-04-2008, 05:46 PM

Steve,
You should try some of this from modernmastersinc.com. It's really close to gold leaf and doesn't tarnish. Several local paint stores here carry it. Most gold that I have used is pretty dull, this stuff is really bright. Sorry I'm not much help on what type of finish to use to resist the outdoor weather.

mikeacg
12-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Marvin,

Great suggestion! I hope I can find some here. Gold leaf looks great but takes way too long. How is it on price?

Mike

knight_toolworks
12-04-2008, 09:51 PM
that's the brand I found at rodda. it off to find out the finish over it. do I need to steal it before I out the varnish over it?

lstovall
12-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Yea it's a little bit expensive. It is a little opaque so if you put a white or yellow base coat down first it will cover better. The picture above doesn't do it justice, it is much brighter than the picture. The label says it's for interior and exterior trim, doors and furniture so it must be pretty tough.