PDA

View Full Version : Which SB do i need

msantos
04-06-2005, 11:55 PM
need advice in purchasing a SB. i make residential and buisness signs in my small shop. currently use handheld routers and scrollsaws to produce these items that the costumer order.

want to upgrade to cnc routers to increase production and improve turn around time. most of my work are small (8x14 inches) and the largest sign i have created is about 3 x 4 feet.

would like to hear from owners of the bench top model as this is in my price range.

also will it be beneficial to purchace PRT48 due to the larger cutting area? as this will allow for expansion but cost alot more.

i have read some post in this forum and they have been helpful but so much information that i got a brain cramp.

paco
04-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi Martin!

You'll surely cut letters and designs faster on a CNC router than by hand (...Not 100% sure but I'll bet it!!!)...

I'll say the bigger the better... but to go from the 48 to the 96 you only need longer X rails (I believe a 120" X rail is around 150.00$ each; check on that with SB...) and a longer table/frame... and more space floor!

Here's an idea; with the 48 you could work on longer sheet good with a longer table/stand/frame without cutting 'em to 48" blank...

jsfrost
04-07-2005, 09:28 AM
I'll agree with Paco, bigger is better if you have the room.
A benchtop seemed ideal for the projects I had in mind when I purchased, but I went with the PRT96 because I expected it would have better resale value. Yesterday I cashed a check for some 6 foot V-carved City Park signs that easily covered the difference in price.

fleinbach
04-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Martin

I agree with Paco, and Jim. I made the mistake of purchasing a PRT96 2 years ago and last year sold it to purchase an Alphaprt 120 and now I am going to change my rails and make the table 2' longer to add an indexer.

Paco

X rails are priced at $50.00 a foot. That's $500.00 per side. Off course the differance between a 48" and 96" tool is only 4 extra feet per side. So the increase would be a total Of $400.00. At least this is the price I was given in December when I inquired about changing my 12' rails for 14' ones.

ron brown
04-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Well, I'll throw in some icewater. It is called reality. Martin is probably hand writing on boards, turning a router on and carving what is probably single line fonts and decorations He is using one of the worlds fastest computers, the human mind, and he has been programming it longer than he has been breathing. If one can beat that time for turnaround, I need to see it to believe it.

Now, for the good part. If one is looking at a stack of orders and has a machine cutting parts, they can make new signs and patterns and more intricate signs while the machine is running. These can be created, blanks loaded and cut while more pieces are being designed and otheres are being finished. This is where the increased production can, and will, come from.

There are a few more factors to consider. How long will it take Martin to learn the tools to do this work? How familiar with computers and design software is he? How long will it take him to learn how to clamp the parts down for cutting? Who pays for his loss of production while he learns? Who buys the bits he introduces to various hold-down devices while he is learning?

Now, I agree with buying the largest length and width one can afford. One learned, a CNC machine opens doors to many new and exciting projects. Once mastered or at least lead into submission it will increase production. It will work tireless hours asking for minimal amounts of electricity, care and feeding of bits.

It can also be the most frustrating and umbling experiences one can have.

Ron

bjenkins
04-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Martin,

I was originally going to buy a benchtop and after I considered the added capability for so little extra cost I bought a PRT96 (which I upgraded to an alpha last month). With your current application that is bigger than you need-- the same was true for me. The fact is that once you have CNC capabilities you have lots of new things you can do. Honestly, for many the space constraint is a bigger deal than the cost. A 4x8 machine has a footprint more like 5x10 and takes up a lot of room. If you have the room, I would go bigger! I've never regretted it.

keith
11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I was going to start a new thread - but this seems like a similar subject. I plan on purchasing a shopbot but I have two options for locations. 1 is my garage however I only have a one car garage right now and it's fairly small. I also have a storage room that measures 12 ft 6 in x 6 ft 5 in in my basement. Does anyone think this room would work to run the shop bot - at least as a temporaoy solution? It's an odd question - but space is limited. Thanks.

ron brown
11-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Keith,

I setup a shopbot in limited space sometime back. It worked, it was a 'bear' for material handling.

I'm not sure one could setup a full size ShopBot in 6'-5" and have any chance of servicing it.

Ron

brian_harnett
11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
My shopbot is set up in a separate room in my shop
it is 11x15 feet inside, it is just enough space to work in I would not want to go smaller than that for a prt 96.

joe
11-08-2005, 08:33 AM
M,

I had the same questions a few years back.

One thing for sure, this equipment will change your business. It will take you in a differnt direction and open possibilities you've never considered. For example I seldom make a sign that doesn't include my CNC and my customers are pleased to pay the extra costs for deminsional signs. For me it has really paid off.

The learning curve shouldn't be overlooked. Aside from the process of setting it up and learning how to get it to work, there's also a never ending learning process of creative possibilities. The latter is what keeps me going. Now I design signs around my CNC. I'm sure your business will do well with this addition.

I also recommend SB for it's technical support and all the great guys who post on this Forum for their good advice.

My 4'X8' PRT is OK but wish I had bought a 4'X12'.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

jhicks
11-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Sounds like the "Bigger Harley" syndrome at work again. No matter what size you buy, as soon as you get comfortable riding it you wish you would have purchased a bigger one. I made the leap into full time 8 months ago after a year of nights and week ends. Now that I am successfully selling signs even the PRT120 occassionally seems too short. Initially it was in a 14' X 22' shop and material, vacuum and other tools made it a bear to work in BUT it did work and make some $. Ultimately had to build an addition to 22 X 35' shop and still want a bigger one. I continue to say "we can do that" and now have signs 10, 12, & 14 feet long which need to be sectioned and pieced together but the majority of work fits well. That extra 1' width is nice to manuver sheets around on. Not a big deal but I would say get whatever you can afford, whatever will fit material and room to move with one exception. Go with a spindle over a router so if its a choice of a 96 with a spindle vs 120 with a router, go 96 with a sindle.