PDA

View Full Version : WOODSTALK Fiberboard

webbhead
10-07-2004, 03:07 AM
Anyone tried Woodstalk? High Grade Fiberboard or Machineable Fiberboard? Where do you get it on the West Coast? Price?

What about Trupan on the West Coast? Where? Price?

Thanx in advance,

John

jay_p
10-07-2004, 07:08 PM
John,

We tried Wheatboard, which was an MDF like composite product made in North Dakota by PrimeBoard several years ago, and it was a nightmare. It destroyed carbide blades and router bits, and it smelled like a wet hog barn when it was cut. It would also constantly send out sparks when you cut it.
Evidently Woodstalk is made by Dow, and according to their website it looks pretty good. In fact there is an article from a manufacturer in Canada who claims to be getting less tool wear than from wood based composite products.
I too am curious if anyone has used it.

Jay

mike_annetts
10-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Hello

I teach shops at McCreary Manitoba and we use this stuff every day. It is produced about 100 miles away from us using wheat straw in Elie Manitoba. It machines very easy and seems to be very easy on the tools. We have never seen any sparks,etc. The main drawback is that it is very heavy and very dusty. You definitely need a good dust collector with it. The company donates the stuff to the school so that helps also. We do a lot of engraving and sign work with it-also a lot of cabinets because of its low cost. One nice feature of it is that the sheet are an inch oversized and constant in thickness throughout the sheet. Like someone said it does smell like a barn loft all the time but thats okay by me. We usualy cut about 1.75 ips with a 3/8 straight cutter. i'm sure that we could probably go a lot faster according to some of the posts I have read on the forum but I am worried about stressing the bot.

Mike Annetts

Mayo
10-09-2004, 12:51 AM
You can find the Wheatstalk product in the form of finished white shelving and it's available at Menard's and Home Depot. I regularly cut it - it machines nicely.

The cut edge will feel smooth - but it will have very small pockets or voids which become noticeable when you paint - especially if you use a glossy paint. If you need a perfect or near perfect edge, you will have to use a filler or perhaps a high build primer, then sand and then finish paint.