PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Mounting Template

kivimagi
08-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey Signmakers,

Interested in building a sign for my hobby farm. And I guess I'd like it to look nice, so I want to use a mounting template, and studs to give it a dimensional feel.

Is there a recommended method for creating a mounting template for a sign with studed letters?

Is there software specially developed for this procedure?

I can think of a few ways to do it, but they seem rather labor intensive.

Also if you have a source for the studs, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance, have a great weekend.

den73160
08-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Studed letters? Are you asking about letters that are attached to back as in cut them first?

kivimagi
08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Here is a page that shows the procedure. Just curious how th template is made, and how it all works.

http://signlettersonline.com/install/stud_mounting_letters.htm

rookie432
08-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Ryan,

Here is how I have done them in the past.
(now this only works with flat front or non beveled letters)

I set up my template(usually 1/4" luan ply as its cheap) I lay out my letters on the computer as I want them to appear on the sign or side of a building etc. I set up a drill pattern in the lettters where I want the studs to go. Then I cut my luan template bu just scoring the profile of the letters into the luan as an outline then drill all the way thru the stud points.)

Now for the letters. Take your computer design with the letters and stud holes and "MIRROR" the image. Now you will be milling the back of your letters. Drill you stud points into the back of your letters then cut your letters out.

Now you have matching holes in both you letters and your template.
Mount your template to your substrate-building-stone wall and use the predrilled holes to mark or drill your subtrate.
Mount studs to the back of your letters in the matching holes and install.

Works on flat walls and some arced surfaces. 1/4" luan will bend and is more stable than paper templates.

HMMM
Is that clear?

Hopefully I explained it clearly.

Bill