PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Signs?

ghostcreek
05-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Any tips, tricks and info on making a vinyl sign? I want to make some signs for my trucks. I was going to buy some magnetic signs, but my Accountant (Wife) stated, hey, what kind of sign guy buys a sign? Ok, challenge accepted. So before I bounce my head off a couple of my shop walls, any suggestions?
Thinking of a drag knife I remember seeing on ShopBot's website.

bryson
05-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Michael, I use a vinyl cutter from WidgetWorks http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/CNC_Machine_Bits_and_Accessories_s/1.htm. You can also find lots of tecniques on YouTube.
Bryson

joe
05-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Michael,

I'm not too sure your accountants advice is correct. I've been running a sign shop for years and I send out vinyl work. The reason being, it's more effecient and economical. Many of the upscale vinyl shops do 4 color printing directly on the magnetic material. This means you can even get color photo's and/or complex images printed direct. It's cheap, beautiful, and available.

It's so easy to loose money by listening to a good accountant. Just let him count your money, and file your taxes, nothing else.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

bryson
05-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Michael, Joe is one of the best here with advice and knowlege but I'm not sure that I would tell your accountant (wife) to just "count your money and file your taxes and nothing else". Sometimes actions have unintended consiquences!!

myxpykalix
05-25-2009, 11:31 AM
especially with the "nothing else" part. It may tend to get mighty lonely at night.

joe
05-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Dang it Jack, Now you tell me!

Wonder why my accountant has called in a long time.

It's been awful lonesome over hear. I'm gonna make some signs now.

dakers
05-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Michael,

If i was in your position i would sub out the vinyl for your truck. The learning curve and the expense for the vinyl, drag knife and transfer mask is only worth it if you are going to do alot more vinyl signs of if you just wanted to play and did not care if you spent almost $300. and a days labor to do the truck yourself.(depending on what materials, drag knife you buy and how compicated the design is) I am saying that assuming you zero experience and knowledge in making vinyl signs and installing vinyl.

GlenP
05-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Heck go to a sign shop and take samples with you. Tell them what services you can provide to them and how you don't do any vinyl work so you are not their competition. Order your magnets for your truck and maybe they will give you a order for some cnc work. Alot of sign guys still cut letters with a jig saw or band saw because some of the big cnc guys charge big $$. I picked up a couple of sign guys because they are tired of paying huge $$ and I am closer to ship to them. I give them better service because I am a small shop. I have a plotter and don't do my own vinyl work. I sub it out to my customers and do what I do best...CNC. You are in a tight spot with your wife being the accountant and lets face it..the boss. Mine is as well. Good Luck.

bleeth
05-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Accountants, if they do their job well, are fantastic at setting up a good bookkeeping system, advising you of how to make your purchases the most advantageous for tax purposes, and making sure your filings are correct. On the other hand, they generally make lousy business managers. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not their area of expertise.
Wives, if they do their job well, are highly supportive of what you choose to do for a living, sympathetic to your challenges, and will gladly offer detailed advice on how you should run your day to day operations. But they often don't understsand the difference between one aspect of a business (like sign-making) and another.
I would explain to her that cutting vinyl is not what you do and for a couple of lousy truck signs it isn't worth the curve. On the other hand, you could design and cut a couple 3-d signs and stick some magnets on the back. Now you are on home territory and showing off what you do!!

GlenP
05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey Dave, I have thought of the 3d for the truck myself but wonder if it would rip off in the wind?
I would like to make some wood racks for the side of my truck box and do a cool 3d relief in it but our truck has a fiberglass lid on it and wife likes the lid more than my idea. Perhaps buying a old classic 50's truck and then do my rails. Wonder if the accountant would let me write that off?? We have a guy in a town close by that has an old truck all done up and has a classic 60's look to his hair all greased up and slicked back. He does window repair on cars and trucks and has his business name on the old truck and uses it for day to day calls. Extremely nice setup and turns heads every time.

ghostcreek
05-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks to all for the input. I will take the sage advice and go to a local sign shop and try some sales work.
Dave, you got my brain back on track. I need to show what I do. Going to work on your and Glen's idea. I have two trucks, one with a lid, one with a lumber rack. The lumber rack is calling me for signs, and I can work out the attachment. The magnet idea for the other truck is a good idea, but like you I wonder about the wind. Maybe attaching it to the fiberglas shell. Hmmmm

here I go again, a possible business product?! Carved signs for work trucks.
Thanks again guys

toych
05-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I found this picture on the web last year and have been toying with the idea of doing something like this on our truck.

Darren

joe
05-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Darren,

Now your Cookin. Everyone who see's this vehicle will have to look. It would be a rolling advertisement for you.

Don't for get the tailgate. You can put twice as much information on a tailgate as on the sides. People, while stopped at the red light will be forced to read every word. No matter how small.

I'd put that one even with the top of the tailgate. All vinyl lettering.

You could pick up chicks with that truck! Just a thought.

ghostcreek
06-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Darren,
Love that sign. I am trying to come up with a design to mount to my Lumber Rack and the cap on my other truck. Got some cedar to try making a tailgate signs. Mounting to tail gate is my biggest "hang-up". Great suggestions guys.