PDA

View Full Version : Design Software issues

wittsend
08-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Any help that anyone can offer I would greatly appreciate. I've been working on this for waaay too long. Here's the problem: I made a sign design in Corel Draw 12, saved the file in DXF then I've been trying to explode the splines and make toolpaths in BobCad 21. From there the file goes to Desk CNC and only a portion of the borders are closed. I've gone back to BobCad, zoomed in and tried fixing the breaks. Is there another quicker way to repair these issues that I don't know about? Is this a normal issue?

I've been working on this about 3 weeks and I'm about to go nuts. I'm all ears.

Brady Watson
08-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Email me the file & I will take a look. As a prior BobCAD customer I can tell you that is the 1st thing you'll want to change. Have a look at the excellent & affordable products from www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com) - They are superior than BC in every way. Including price.

-B

harryball
08-29-2008, 09:17 PM
I can't say enough good about vectric. I fooled with BobCAD for a short time and I'm glad I didn't buy and found Vectric.

/RB

wittsend
08-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I will probably soon be purchasing Vectric. Luckily for me as it turns out.....the bobcad im using is the 2nd license belonging to a friend of mine.

Brady Watson
08-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Brian,
You have mail.

-B

procarve
09-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Brian -

I use Illustrator, but you could use this workflow with Corel Draw just as easily.

Design in Corel
Save file as oldest version of EPS available
import to partwizard with import vectors

No need for Cad software if you design in Corel

Bill
www.RocketfuelSigns.com (http://www.RocketfuelSigns.com)

chodges
09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree with William.

You can create your drawing in Corel Draw 12, then export it as an .EPS which will import into PartWizard just fine.

One thing you might find useful is a feature in Corel Draw that will let you close a path of vectors before you export your drawing.

Here's an example ...

In Corel Draw, create two parallel lines. Then, select both lines and menu to ARRANGE and CLOSE PATH. Select any of the 4 options and your vector lines will be joined into a single object. This works with complex shapes too.

Hope this helps!

wittsend
09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. I finally got them cut on Friday. Everything turned out good. Now if I can just make the finished product look good. I'll post some pics when I'm done so you guys can give your professional opinions on the outcome. Thanks Again.
Brian

wittsend
09-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok fellas, It's finally installed. Thanks again for all the help. This is my first sign and I definately learned alot. Can't wait for the next one.

I visited Joe one day at his shop and I'd like to Thank him for taking the time to visit and brainstorm with me. It really meant alot to me!

Soooo...here it is I invite you guys to critique this so the next one will be better yet. I want positive and negative comments...it's the best way for me to improve. Sorry for the small pic, it's all it would let me load without exceeding the 50kb rule

Brian

myxpykalix
09-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Brian,
go to www.xat.com (http://www.xat.com) and get jpeg optimizer. Its free. You can load up a 640x480 pic and lower the kilobyte size to below the limits here and post something that we can see, this pic doesn't do your work justice.

wittsend
09-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Jack....Maybe this is better.

harryball
09-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Very nice... but you spelled END wrong. ;-)

/RB

myxpykalix
09-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Thats more like it! Very nice, very rustic. What wood is that made of? What type of protective coating are you using? With time will the sign turn grey? What material are the letters made from?

wittsend
09-27-2008, 10:06 AM
The wood is cedar that was ordered from the local lumberyard. The post are 8x8x12 and boards are 2x12. It is coated with Sikkens Cetol Log and Siding sealer. It should last 3-4 years and then apply a recoat. The sealer comes in different tints so it should never gray as long as they or I stay up with the maintenance which may lead to a maintenance contract. I just looked at a house the other day that had this same sealer that was about 5 yrs old. It still had the natural colors but it was time for some maintenance.

The black part of the letters is 3/4 medex. I wanted 1/2" but that was all I could get at the time. It has 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint. This has silicone on the back side of it as well as screws.

The white letters are dibond which is my new favorite material. These are just siliconed on.

dana_swift
09-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Brian- nice to see more botters in Oklahoma, if you find yourself at the other end of the turnpike- look me up!

D

dubliner
09-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Cool sign, Are the Dog & Cat stacked or just borders?

wittsend
09-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks, the dog and cat are just borders.

Dana, thanks for the offer, I'll do that. I'd like to see some of your work.