View Full Version : Now For the Software...

johnandrhondawebb@netzero.net
04-25-2003, 03:36 AM
OK, so I've got CorelDraw 11 & have been using it since v9. For a good V-Carved sign, am I correct in understanding that I can output true type designs to PartWizard & get my desired results that way? What about Post Script fonts? If I convert to curves then output as dxf or ai, can I still apply a v-carve with PartWizard?

For 3D, I have 3D Studio MAX 4.1, but this program is insane I tell ya. Wireframe, patch, NURBS modeling... sub menus off sub menus & more options than I'd ever use. I'm thinking I'd only use it to modify existing meshes (flatten Z depth) & output to MillWizard to create small accent graphics that can be glued or screwed on to the top surface. How are you guys applying 3d elements if any?

I found this link list for anyone who's into 3d.
http://www.huntfor.com/3d/links.htm

I gotta tell ya... I can't stop thinking about making stuff with my new ShopBot! - John

04-25-2003, 04:00 AM
Yeeesh... a lotta dead links on that list... weak... Anyone with a solid resource for 3d models you can actually use?

graphicmetals
04-25-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi John,

PartWizard will not import text (as real text) and V carve it. You can add text in PartWizard, but you only get about 5 fonts that will V Carve. It will not V carve any shapes. Very limited capability. For us, it's OK because we are not a sign shop. If you are primarily doing signs, you really ought to consider something other than PartWizard.

Have not used MillWizard yet, so I can't help with that.

Regards,
Kevin

billp
04-25-2003, 07:53 AM
John,
Will you be down at the Jamboree? If so I'll be distributing my annual "list"of 3D web sites for models/tutorial/links. If not, send me a note, and I'll forward it on to you...Bill P.

04-25-2003, 07:21 PM
What about VisualMill? Vector will do it, but if VM Basic could do it, I'd save a few bucks & have the option to upgrade to VM Full... which looks like it'll give ArtCAM a helluva run for the money. Anyone know if you can v-carve dxf with VM? I can model a v-carve in MAX, but I don't know what will accomodate the tool pathing. ArtCAM & Insignia is outta the question.

billp
04-25-2003, 07:52 PM
John,
If you can model it in Max, you should then be able to export it as a 3DS file, and take it into Millwizard for toolpathing... Bill P.

garbob
04-26-2003, 10:16 AM
What about Visual Mill?

Is anybody using it for vcarving and if so do you have the full or the basic version. I have one of the first PRT96's and have been struggling with many ways of cutting and carving. I am just doing a final eval. on ArtCam Insignia, which it looks like I will lease... BUT I'm curious about the Visual Mill basic package being sold for $1,000US which includes v3 of Rhino, which normally sells by itself for a $1,000. I have been threatening to download and try the VM demo, but no time. I just haven't seen much about VM on this or other forums!

Any insights would be welcome on or offline!

Thanks in advance.

Gary

laff_riot@charter.net
12-19-2003, 09:48 PM
I was hell bent on getting Artcam as well until I ran across RamsPro software. When I came out of Artcam drool phase it dawned on me that 98% of my business was do-able with RamsPro which puts a lot of pressure on that 2% for making up the 6k price tag difference.

Since purchasing RamsPro I have downloaded several free to $200 range image to 3d g-code interpreters which I will use for the 3d fox heads and other items where Artcam shines.

Here’s another rough way to look at it. Running Artcam 5 hours per day, with 3 year depreciation and 25% increase for upgrades comes out to $2.60 per hour – versus RamsPro $.42 per hour. That’s a medium cheese pizza and tip per day.

http://www.rams-software.com/ - Very friendly people and they will customize your post for. The websites in a moment of transition so just give them a call – they will send you a full working version for 15 days.

Happy Holidays
Laff.

bjwat@comcast.net
12-20-2003, 05:20 AM
Laff,
RAMS only allows you to do toolpathing...ArtCAM does toolpathing...AND you can create 3D within the program.

-Brady

joe crumley
12-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Laff,

I am have both ArtCam and Rams and would never go back to Rams. While it does some steps OK it is not in the same league.

When I purchased Rams there was a lifetime free upgrade which came to an end, as well as the support, unless I coughed up $200.

You can see some of my V Carv on the SB Web page under Sb's in use, signs.

joe

pappy
12-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Joe

What font did you use for that Waterford sign?
Did you modify one yourself?
E-mail me pappy@mindless.com (mailto:pappy@mindless.com)
Doug Berk