PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

godsman24_7
11-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I joined the site and I'm really looking forward to picking your brains. I am an industrial tech teacher and Im wanting to get into signage. If you have ANY advise for a newbie will be all ears. Thanks for having me.
John

joe
11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Welcome John,

My first adivce is to decide what niche you are most interested in and have the aptitued for.

Second is find a movement and the leaders in that area. It's called "Follow the leader" Most of us have hero's in the trade and study their techniques and skills insidiously.

Buy lots of books and do your homework.

gene
11-01-2007, 11:54 PM
John
My advise is to buy vectric or go to their website and play with the free download , Very very good software. welcome to the site. Do you have a bot ?

myxpykalix
11-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Also go down some of these post and click on the posters profile and go to their websites. You'd be surprised at ideas you get looking at "the masters work" and then ask questions!

butch
11-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I can attest to the help here in ShopBot forum. If you have a question, you will usually get several great suggestions and solutions. Also see signforums.com, there are several good places to look in there.

Butch

joewino
11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Good design is a fundamental. Computer software and hardware will allow you to perform tasks more easily but the initial idea has to come out of your head. Subscribe to journals, buy (and read) books, and make friends with some local sign person so that you can see the techniques up close and personal.

You will find this forum ready to assist you in any way you need, but nothing takes the place of good ol' experience. Observe and then try to emulate the finest design you can find.

You will find some of the best designs on cereral boxes, candy wrappers, and book covers. Even though you may not be working in that medium, the design principles will transfer to whatever niche you choose.

Good luck in your new adventure.

godsman24_7
11-02-2007, 09:10 AM
WOW, thanks for all the great advice guys. I guess I would not have thought of many of these things. Yes I do have a shop bot. I just got it put together the other day. Looking forward to great discussions and learning from you. Have a great day everyone.