PDA

View Full Version : Just one of the sign to be featured at Team Canada Camp ShopBot

kerrazy
07-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Hey guys and gals,
Here is a sign I am in the process of working on. During my upcoming camp I will walk through process in creating something similar for yourself.
Cheers Dale

kerrazy
07-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Sorry;
Here is some dirt on this piece, it is 4' X 6' Vertical grain cedar with a walnut stain and several coats of Spar varnish. It is double sided (same design carved on both sides) the words Dental, Dentaire and phone numbers are v-carved with a 120Deg v-bit and the worde centre is prismatic or bevel carved with the same 120 degree v-bit. the background black colour is glass smalts and the gold due to clients budget constraints is one shot gold lettering enamel.
Dale

kerrazy
07-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Here is a side profile highlighting the text.
Dale

donchapman
07-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Beautiful work, Dale. I'm a signmaker in Texas who has hand carved many similar signs (including gilding) and I've computer routed lots of so-called 2.5D signs from wood and HDU, but I don't have the software to do the quality v-carving you've shown in the photos. If my time and money weren't tied up in my signwork, adding on to my house, and putting my daughter throuch college, I'd come to your camp.

beacon14
07-20-2004, 01:31 AM
Dale,

can you tell us a little about how the tooth icon was done including the background texture?

great looking sign.

David B.

kerrazy
07-20-2004, 07:50 AM
The tooth is real simple David,
I just did an area clear or hog of the back ground around the tooth, and then used a v-bit to carve the eyes and mouth. This is a similar approach used for the back ground around the word centre, then using a v-bit I put a bevel on the word centre. The whole structure is carved from one substrate with no appliques.
The black back ground is glass smalts ( crushed glass) that is embedded into a smalts honey (basically a high tack thick glue) that you add a bit of paint to too match the smalts colour.
Dale