PDA

View Full Version : A busy ShopBot

joewino
06-29-2007, 06:48 PM
This is a photo of some of the work that our ShopBot turned out this week. Not pictured are about 25 various projects that were shipped out to other sign folks earlier in the week.

We kept the thing running for about four days straight.

Most of the work you see was cut from Corafoam from Duna USA (15# and 20#). The smaller letters are 30# Precision Board.

We did several projects for John Oldham - a sign man up in Waco and he provided us with some SignFoam 3 for his jobs.

Now, I have to paint all this stuff, and my son (and helper) Mike is going to be gone all next week as a counselor at our church camp. Wonder if he timed that on purpose?

Brady Watson
06-29-2007, 06:59 PM
The Duna stuff is excellent. It totally blows the SignFoam III away. It's cheaper & the lower density Duna foam is on par with higher density SignFoam.

Nice job! Keep going til you get the check

-B

joe
06-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Neat, Neat, Neat.

Very encouraging to see how a router can be put to creative work. Ray is reaching out from his skills with a lettering brush to the hard steel router bit.

I'm jealous and thinking of moving to Texas where the big bucks are.

O, I forgot: I taught him everyting he knows.

jamesgilliam
06-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Ray, If I was not still working on the old house I would come and help. I just love to watch an expert at work, and pick up a few more pointers.

joewino
06-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks all...and especially Joe for all those years of instruction. Joe is a great designer and painter - he picked up all he knows from working with those guys that did the cave paintings.

jhicks
07-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Interesting notes on Duna Foam. Not sure what the advantage is though interested in learning more. From their web page their HDU is same cost as Duna Foam in 15# denisty and compared to what we just paid for Sign Foam in 1,1/2" 15# it looks more expensive at $395.00 vs $330.00 per sheet. Are you saying their 10# is equivalent to 15#?
Always interested in new material so any feedback on a better mousetrap is appreciated.
Tahnks

joewino
07-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Jerry - I didn't find any prices on their web site (I must be looking in the wrong place) but the price list that was given to me ealier in the year was what I paid for the last bunch that I got. It seems to be about the same price as Precision Board and slightly less expensive than Sign Foam - in the same density.

I like it because it appears to be more dense and smoother than the other brands and doesn't produce nearly as much dust.

And, no, I'm not a rep for them nor do I get any kind of discount. I just like their product.

4' x 8' x 1.5" (15#) - $278.88

We use a lot of 20# for cut out letters and for work that needs to hold a lot of fine detail. Recently we did two 4' x 8' single faced signs and used 10# and they routed nicely, but were very flexible...but we back our work most of the time anyway with either Dibond or MDO, so it wasn't that big of a problem.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that their 10# is equal to Sign Foam 15# but it gets close.

One of the problems right now is finding a distributor, but more are beginning to stock the stuff.

joe
07-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Wish I had my youth back.

joe
07-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Much of it was lost during the, afore mentioned, cave painting era.

bcammack
07-03-2007, 08:05 AM
I wish I had anybody's youth back. Have to be better than my own.

joewino
07-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Come on now, Joe, quit your whinning. You know that you are only as young as you think...and I know personally that you think younger than most of us here. You continue to learn and I think that is the secret to staying "young at heart".

joe
07-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Slow down there Tex. You've helped me garner lots of respect with the age thing. Younger chaps are less critical and don't challenge me now. I'm really into the bogas, ageing schtick.

So let it be known, I'm old, stuck in my ways, and grumpy too.

"When a man gets old, he needs lots of vices to keep his mind occupied."
Mark Twain

knedert
07-04-2007, 01:01 AM
I believe that Twain also said:
"It is a good idea to obey all the rules when you are young just so you'll have the strength to break them when you're old."

joe
07-04-2007, 08:33 AM
That's a good one Rose. I'll remember that for sure.

Twain was the American Shakespear.

joe
07-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Prices for Duna Board (HDU) are here:

http://www.alumapanel.com/view_product.cfm?step=1&lines_ID=495&name=15%23%20 Duna%20Board