PDA

View Full Version : Joe's Elmer's glue mask

cnc_works
01-20-2010, 02:10 AM
I've been cutting quite a few rustic signs on recycled cedar fencing using Joe's glue mask (Liberal coating of Elmers glue, vinyl transfer tape on top, cut, paint, peel). It seems to be a real inconsistent, sometimes great results, sometimes the mask fuzzes up so bad on the perimeter of the letters that to get a clean paint job is either impossible or too time consuming. Usually cutting at 15K, 90ipm, fresh 90deg bit. I've even tried painting the surface of the transfer tape with shellac sealer to crisp up the surface with limited success.

Any suggestions Joe?...anybody.

Donn

dakers
01-20-2010, 08:38 AM
from earlier post using the glue.
did you use the shellac to seal the edges prior to using the color?
I have always used xim clear primer for sealing but probably any clear would work

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/315/31314.html

Ken Zey
Registered Member
Username: Zeykr

Post Number: 240

zeykr
01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Donn,

I've found that not all vbits cut mask cleanly. Since it works sometimes for you, that's probably not the main problem here. I have good luck with hersaf v bits when cutting mask. The cheap Bosch 90 from lowes also cuts mask pretty well. My mlcs v-bits are lousy at clean cuts on masking though.

Also though it sounds like this is not flat bottom v-carving, when I do flat bottom v-carving with masking, I always run the vbit toolpath first. The vbits leave a much cleaner edge for me than endmills.

Also I've found that I don't get a good clean cut sometimes when the v-carving is too shallow. I sometimes have to switch to a smaller angle vcarve bit so that the walls of the letter are steeper and it seems that the cutting of the mask will be cleaner.

I think it was Jack Jarvis who mentioned the possibility of Anchor Seal (a wax log sealing product) as a mask on the forum.
I have experimented it on rough cedar and it works fairly well. I like to spray it on a pre-finished cedar board with a little critter sprayer, several coats. Then cut through and finish letters as usual. Always seems to produce smooth edges on the letters due to nature of the wax. Also works fairly well for the PVC trim boards. Washes off with Hot water - takes a bit of soaking and pretty much limits size to something that fits in utility sink. Biggest downside is that only works for pre-finished boards - you shouldn't go back and paint areas that were wax covered.

Note, I am not recommending this process over the Snake Oil mask, just another tool in the arsenal that works in some situations. For rough surfaces, I usually try snake oil first, and if that doesn't work, I then try anchorseal.

blackhawk
02-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Could someone answer something for me? What is the exact brand name and part number for the vinyl transfer tape that can be used with the rubber cement method of masking?

No supplier seems to know what I am asking for?