PDA

View Full Version : Defective snake oil or im just an idiot

godsman24_7
07-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Guys....your signs are looking awesome using the snake oil method. I have been trying it for months now and I suck. ill paint my material with behr premium plus exterior satin enamel, (2 coats sand inbetween) let dry, then put rubber cement on and wait 30 min, then apply transfer tape and press that on, once I start routing the tape pulls up like crazy and I just wasted a bunch of time. I have amazing ideas and I client base just waiting for me but I cant mask ANYTHING. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong. Thanks for your time fellows.
John

joe
07-17-2008, 05:33 PM
John,

I don't think it's you. This is a difficult technique. Here are a few tips. On smooth or semi-smooth surfaces you should be able to use one of the vinyl masks. Gerber Mask for example. But when trying to mask rough surfaces like raw wood, the conventional masks don't work. That's where the liquid, rubber cement, works best.

What's going on now, the surface is too slick for the rubber to take a good hold.

No matter what method you use, there's a good chance there will be little gaps, under your mask, which will give you problems. To help with this, paint the well of your letters, and over the edges of the mask, with the same color as your background. That should seal your mask off. Then paint your letters with a couple of coats of your favorite paint color.

Now-Lightly sand around the top sides of the letters with fine sandpaper. This will break the edges so it looks clean and sharp.

I know this sound confusing. Guess I should do a step by step in hopes it would be more clear. Perhaps next week.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)