PDA

View Full Version : Need Masking Advice

jim_vv
12-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Greetings from California. I am currently working on a dozen peices of wall art for Christmas gifts. I have book matched 3/4" cherry into 12" x 20" boards that I have stained and put 5 coats of Maloof's poly oil and wax finish on. I was planning to Vcarve some lettering and then paint the lettering white or black. Per a past thread I have applied vinyl paint mask to a finished sacrificial peice. This evening I Vcarved (new Onsrud 60 degree bit) a sample of my lettering. The mask is not cutting clean enough to spray my lettering. I tried different feed rates and spindle speeds to no avail. I also tried some "frisket" mask (paper like) which was given to me as a sample as something that would hold up to laquer. It didn't cut clean either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bryson
12-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Jim, I use Contact brand shelf liner. Be sure it is pressed down firmley. You may also want to try water based stain or paint. You can brush it on quickly and wipe off any mess with a damp rag.
Bryson

garyb
12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Jim if you put the wax finish on over the polyurethane using Maloof’s proceedure then you won't get good adhesion with the paint mask, it will tear and lift everytime.