PDA

View Full Version : Gold Leaf

godsman24_7
03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Hello Guys,

I have been trying to research about gold leaf and I have not found much. I have purchased the size and 23k leaf. I am wanting to leaf some raised letters I cut using Joe Crumley's 3/8" roundover bit idea. (Thanks for your genius Joe) I cut the letters out of Exteria. Do I need to put down an oil based primer before I put down the size? Can I used some imitation leaf to practice first. I have read about every post I can find and I think I can do it.....well I will figure it out eventually right;) Thanks to all you guys for your posts.....I have learned an amazing amount by just logging on and reading. Have a great day everyone.

John

dubliner
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
There are a few tutorials on Youtube, seeing is easier than reading, for me at least.

lstovall
03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I would suggest watching some tutorials on Youtube like Neville said. Then cut some samples and start experimenting, it will give you confidence you need to get you going. You'll learn more as you go.

dakers
03-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi John, Primer: we use XIM 400 white primer on anything we want to last a long time outside. with the new VOC laws in Ohio i am having problems getting oil base primer.
if we had to gold leaf a wood product for exterior we would use at least two coats of xim and one coat of oil base goldish yellow enamel before using the slow set size.
We would paint the backs of the letters the same as front. I would allow a week of drying time before putting on the size this time of year probably. We would spray all the primers and enamel. If we had to brush it we would put mineral spirits in the primer to slow it down so it would level out. I am sure there are other primers to use just as good and i am interested in how others would do it but we have been using xim 400 white since the 70's and it is the most amazing primer we have ever used for adhesion and durability of top coat. I am just throwing my experience into the ring so we can all compare what works. John when you are totally finished can you post what you used and how it went for you.

joe
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
John,

Perhaps you could drop by for a quick lesson. This is a simple process but almost impossible to learn without personal assistance. See if you can get some sign artist there to give you help.

Here is the processs with Extira.
Quick coat with shellac.
Background coat with Chrome Yellow One Shot.
Apply Gold Size.
Apply Gold.

Timing is everything.

godsman24_7
03-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Thank you guys for your time and answers to my questions. I thought that I would need to do those things, but didn't know for sure. Joe, I live in Kansas and I am an admirer of your work. Would there be a time that I could come down and work for you for a week? for a "quick lesson." I will see what I can get done and post some results later. Thanks again everybody.
John

joewino
03-27-2009, 08:58 AM
John - I can't really speak for Joe, but I just imagine that he would love to have you come down...and you will certainly "work for you". Joe doesn't let anyone in the door without them doing something.

Well...not always. I came by one time and he didn't make me work, but I was just there for a few minutes.