PDA

View Full Version : Mixing coloured epoxy

toych
03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm trying to mix some coloured epoxy with "mixed" results.

I've mixed several different colours that worked out well. What I'm having trouble with is white. I used One Shot white with West System 105/207 and got a grey marble mess. I then tried some white acrylic enamel and it turned into a kind of sticky plastic.

I've used coloured acrylic enamel and have been happy with the result.

I just can't seem to get a handle on the white.

I mix 10-20% paint by volume until I get the colour saturation I'm after.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Darren

Left-One Shot orange. Right yellow acrylic enamel.

dakers
03-11-2009, 02:26 PM
I was told by West that i can use grout to color the epoxy. i bought some white but have not tried it. i can sprinkle on top of the wet epoxy or mix or both and use one shot as well. the mineral based grout also is a uv enhancer.

We have used the one shot for exterior signs in the west epoxy but it does not have the uv resistance. Someone mentioned Permalac coating on top of the epoxy and that sounds like a good solution as it provides uv protection.

If anyone has used grout i would like to know how it worked.

khaos
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Could you get better results from gelcoat? It comes in all the colors of the rainbow and is tought as nails.

joe
03-11-2009, 03:54 PM
D.

You've run up against the same problem many others have had. You won't get a nice clear white by mixing it. It always turns out milky gray.

There are epoxy's and gel coats that are pre- mixed white ready to go.

Also the colors you get when mixing aren't stable and will fade with time. The reason being is most epoxy isn't UV protected.

toych
03-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I looked around West systems website after I posted yesterday and found a product called 501 white pigment. I picked some up and tried it out, it is not "one shot white" but I now have white epoxy.

I'm still curious about what others may have tried that worked out, such as grout etc.

Thanks for the tips.

Darren

Gary Campbell
03-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Titanium White pigment from Fiberglass Coatings Inc.
Gary

toych
03-13-2009, 12:56 PM
The West System white pigment turn out not too bad.

It was just something I wanted to learn how to do in case the application ever came up.

I made up a couple Boston Bruins logos out of scrap LDF from my spoilboard to try it out ( can you tell I'm having a slow week!).

Darren

joe
03-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Darren

Thanks for posting. This will come in handy in our shop.