PDA

View Full Version : Pocketing

bbenoit@sk.sympatico.ca
09-07-2002, 03:25 PM
i'm fairly new at using a shopbot and i'm having a great deal of trouble pocketing letters and shapes in signs
is their anyone out there with tips and hints in
corel draw for me

joecrumley
09-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Brian,

Perhaps I can be of assistance with this process as we do it all the time. Our sign shop specializes in redwood and rough cedar signs. I think we are still featured on the SB In Use under signs. You can get a shapshot of what type of product we do.

What program are you using after using Corel? What type of material and what size letters are you working with? The more info about the problems you are having will be of assiatance.

There are lots of guys on the forum that will be of assistance.

Joe

bbenoit@sk.sympatico.ca
09-09-2002, 12:55 AM
thank for any help you can give me joe

i'm using corel draw 8 and saving as autocad dxf
importing and converting with the bot software
my sizing is way off approx.15 times smaller than it should be.
material wise i,m really not sure what to use just yet ( i've only had the shopbot for a couple of months now and just getting started)
i'm think of foamboard of exterior signs but cost is also important (any good suggetions would be great)

i haven't been able to figure out different depts of cuts yet either

i just saw dan hammerstron,s videos last nite and they were of great help but i still have problems to work through

panelman@bayou.com
09-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Where did you find Mr. Dan's videos.

Frank

grant@shopbottools.com
09-09-2002, 11:03 AM
Support is always available by email or phone if you can't get it figured. You can call 1-888-680-4466 toll free. Email is either to support@shopbottools.com (mailto:support@shopbottools.com) or to my personal, grant@shopbottools.com (mailto:grant@shopbottools.com). If you would like our help, it is beneficial to send the file you are having trouble with. Additionally, it sounds like you might be having a scaling or unit value issue. I will be able to help you with this also.

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
09-09-2002, 06:18 PM
I am sorry, I did some housekeeping on the server
and moved the corel video's I made..
They are at:..http://www.burningimpressions.ca/corelvideo/
Now Grant Bailey: If Shopbot would like them as a resource you are welcome to them, just download them and make it known and I will remove them from
my server.. Dan Hammerstron/ (ps) they are mine..

joecrumley
09-09-2002, 10:57 PM
Brian,

I think you are on the right track. The process with corel will work just fine providing that: before you save the dxf, you should determine what size of bit to use. Lets say it is a .25" bit. You would want to contour the interior of the letters by one half that diameter or .125".
The bit will cut on each of the contour line and should give you the exact cut you want. Be sure to save this contour file by itself, without the original letter. After you have converted the DXF to a SBP file, and have opened the SB Cut program, you will see a speed value in the upper left corner. This can be esily changed. Type ss and do the speed setting for the router travel. Be sure to set your Z location on the top of your material.

I am impressed that you are doing as well as you are. This takes a little time at first but there are real experts on this Forum page that will be more than happy to help.

Joe