PDA

View Full Version : Help with braille?

knight_toolworks
09-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I have a quote I need to give. some inside signs. they have braille of course. I could use someone to give me dxf files of the placement. I would pay for this. I think there are only 6 signs.
my wife is blind so she can proofread (G)
I want to use glued in balls I think.

myxpykalix
09-06-2009, 02:11 PM
I think keith Outten has done a lot of signs with braile. Contact him maybe he can do it.

bryson
09-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Steve, Jack is correct. If you go to sawmillcreek.org you can download his plugin.

knight_toolworks
09-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I see he has a corel plugin and was working on a shopbot one but I don't see that he finished. I guess I better contact him.

coach
09-15-2009, 07:07 PM
www.braille-oz.com.au (http://www.braille-oz.com.au)

Know nothing about it. Saw ad in a magazine.
I just inquired into the pricing.

knight_toolworks
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
that's cool. though having to remove you spindle would be a pain. wonder if you could use it as a second z?

keith_outten
09-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Steve,

The version 2 braille script for Corel Draw needs to be tested. It will create tool paths for a ShopBot automatically, I hope that Aaron and I will have it tested by this weekend.

In the meantime I would be glad to create the braille you need for your job free of charge. Send me the information via email or private message on The Creek.

knight_toolworks
09-17-2009, 12:26 PM
thanks for the offer. I have not heard back from them so who knows?

sixshooter
10-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Steve, I dont know if you have an answer yet, I just read your post, but I have cut some signs with Braille on them and I downloaded a braille font using Goggle search. I saved it on my desktop then I opened up my computer and went to the windows file clicked on it and then went to the font file.I opened up the font file and draged the saved Braille font file into the Windows font file then I closed out of my computer. I then went to my partwork v2 and opened up a file that I needed Braille on,I clicked on the text Icon and it opened up the text window, I scrolled down the font menu and there was the Braille font I then typed what I wanted and clicked on apply and there it was, what I typed in Braille is now on my partworks file. I saved it in the toolpath, and cut it out on the bot. I also used little beads that I glued into place. I hope that I am not to late and if not I hope you can uuuse the info.
Thanks

clueless
10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
What's one more Steve to the conversation? Steve French, I'm sorry to tell you that you cannot do that. Typing text in and then converting to the braille font does not work. It will give you the wrong characters. Braille, letter for letter, is Grade 1 Braille. Braille, Grade 2, which is required by the ADA guidelines, takes common sounds and phrases and makes new letters from them (more or less). So there is no way to convert the fonts into the right characters without running the text through a Grade 2 converter.

What you have done will not have the correct letters.

There are free online Grade 2 converters, but you still have to figure out which font (A,B,C) will make the character you need. It's no where near as easy as typing in the text and converting to a braille font.

sixshooter
10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Steve S, I don't think you read my post right or maybe I didn't type it right if i didn't I am sorry. But I have a customer that wants Braille on his signs and he brought me in some pictures, I downloaded a Grade 2 Braille font off the net and put it into the windows font folder and now the Braille font Grade 2 will type in Braille in word or outlook or any program I open up that you can type in I checked it out with the pictures my customer gave me and what I type in partworks or word off his signs are the same as what I typed, I never heard of any Braille converter. I am talking about the Braille alphabet and numbers

keith_outten
10-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Steve F,

Possibly you just got lucky and the characters you needed, such as numbers, matched the samples you were provided. Steve S is right, you must have an interpreter in order to produce Grade2 Braille. It cannot be done with a font to my knowledge.

The NIB has a free interpreter you can download but it doesn't has a friendly interface, in other words it isn't just a program that you can install and start producing ADA Braille.

When I was getting started making ADA signs I couldn't find an easy solution, or an accurate one either. My son in law created a Corel Draw script that uses the NIB interpreter and a free Braille font that makes it as simple to produce Grade2 Braille as it can get. His solution provides a tool button in Corel that you simply type in the text/numbers you need and it is done. Editing is just as simple as creating new Braille. His script will also create a Grade2 Braille toolpath file for a ShopBot with just one click.

Grade2 Braille involves abbreviations that you can't produce with a font unless you can read and write Grade2 Braille. I can provide you with examples if you need them.

Keith

wcsg
10-14-2009, 01:57 AM
I use Duxbury for my conversions.

There is no Grade II Braille font, think of Grade II as short hand. You also have to make sure your your are doing your pinpoints centered correctly. I'm in California and we have an entirely different braille space to everyone else

My initial investment of the Duxbury software, Raster Braille system was all made back on my first job.

I would never recommend using a Braille cutter to make a bead as it can easily break. I would use the acrylic beads, or the Raster system. Much easier, faster and cleaner leaving that professional look