PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush Possibilities

nappy1
01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Has anyone ever used an airbrush for painting the surface of a small sign? Something like 8 x 10 inch?
If so, what kind and which paint did you use?

joewino
01-12-2007, 01:12 PM
I assume that you are speaking of painting the background and not some artwork.

An airbrush doesn't put out much paint or cover a very large area, but I suppose that it could be used for this. I have sprayed some clears with an airbrush and had good luck with it, but not much with a paint that has to have a solid covering. The paint film is just really thin. And be sure that the paint if filtered or you will clog up the airbrush in a hurry.

A small automotive touch up spray gun may work better.

You can pick up a useable airbrush at Hobby Lobby or any craft store that would work. Enamels or acrylics can be airbrushed - they just have to be thinned a lot to get them through the brush.

If the sign will be interior you can use just about anything. If exterior, I would suggest enamels...and lots of coats.

jbworden
01-13-2007, 11:52 AM
You might try one of the disposable Preval sprayers. It's just a small can of compressed air fitted around a spray nozzle with a 6-8 oz jar for paint.

You can sometimes find them at Home Depot. I think they are mostly used for automotive touchup so try an auto paint dealer. I buy mine on line.

nappy1
01-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Ya know, I have one and never tried it. I think I will. Thanks for the idea..

gus
02-25-2007, 12:12 AM
I have used one to spray "Frog Juice" on letters cut from .25 & .50 sintra. Worked for me.