PDA

View Full Version : Color Core survey

jhicks
11-05-2005, 11:28 AM
For those of you who have used Color Core on signs you probably have an issue similar to mine. To run a sign one needs to purchase a 4' x 8' sheet and ship it from North Port Florida since most distributors do not stock it. I have suggested to "Shirl" at Kings Plastics Color Core group that they could probably increase the sales and use of their material IF they had a value added distributor who would offer a few standard cut down sizes. Something like a 1' x 4', 2' x 4', and 4'x4' so us sign makers could have material shipped from stock by a midwest distributor via UPS rather than the expensive 4'x 8' skid for one sheet of material which costs around $100.00 to get to the Chicago area.
In any case I thought I would post this to let you know they thought it was a good idea ( They already have such a distributor in Florida who cuts down their "Boat Board" and sells on the net but I'm pushing for a Midwest value added option on Color Core) If any one else were to contact them in support of the idea, we may all be able to benefit. We have had very good success selling these signs in the Chicago area and only expect more opportunities as we promote its features and pricing advantages. For anyone who wants to discuss this in more depth, please e-mail me directly and I'll be happy to fill you in on the essentail details but I think you would like the ROI.
I have no special relationship or deal so no conflict here. Just trying to leverage the shopbot sign maker community so we can all be more successful.
The distributor I recommended here in Chicago is Laird Plastics FYI who I am encouraging them to add this to their mix but anyone would be better than the current limititations.
To contact Shirl at Color Core, the web and phone numbers are http://www.kingplastic.com/default.aspx
Phone 941-493-5502

rookie432
11-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Jerry,

You can currently purchase these sizes from Rowmark . They call it their "Heavyweights" brand but it is color core. I don't always need a full sheet so I'll order a 1/4 sheet from them. 2x4 or smaller is all they carry.

www.johnsonplastics.com (http://www.johnsonplastics.com)

Bill

rookie432
11-07-2005, 08:58 AM
p.s. they have a warehouse in Algonquin, Illinois.

Bill

jay
11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
1/2" only is available in Canada through www.emplastic.com (http://www.emplastic.com) , Winnipeg and Toronto. Not cheap though.

rickb@kingstarboard.com
11-08-2005, 08:10 AM
You can also order via the internet. Try www.marisafe.com (http://www.marisafe.com). They have a broad selection of King StarBoard marine polymer, but can also acquire and sell ColorCore. It's not on their internet site, but call and they will give you a quote.
Rick Butler
King Plastic

jhicks
11-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks Bill & Rick, Looks like some options are out there which I will need to explore.

mziegler
11-08-2005, 03:50 PM
For us in Ohio and western PA. PlasTEAK have multi-layer sign stock in 1/2" and 3/4" thickness. The sheets are 4 by 8, 4 by 10 and 4 by 12. The website is http://www.plasteak.com/
Mark

jhicks
11-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all the input. I Guess once the word is out there, the field of available options opens wide. The forum is just fantastic that way.
Any more hidden suppliers or super cool materials out there?
Now how do we get a "group price discount" and leverage the purchasing power of the SB sign makers? Imagine how lucky the supplier would be who figures out how to tap the SB community. Looks Like Allstar adhesives is on that track, now if we can only get others to think that way.

jsfrost
12-09-2005, 01:34 PM
After being inspired by Jerry's signs, I want to try some myself. There are no distributers in my cornfield, so I'm getting a quote from www.marisafe.com (http://www.marisafe.com). Currently they will cut sizes to make shipping practical, but will only sell full sheets. I would actually like quarter sheets in several colors. Anyone interested in working a group buy, if Marisafe will go along?

jhicks
12-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Jim, Depending on the sizes, I am sure Color Core will send you a 12" sq sample or 2 but in case thats not enough, see Bill Jarvis' note above about partial sheets from Johnson plastics. Not sure IF its the exact same stuff but it looks close. I've found others like the folks at Poly tone/Laminations and Poly Carve also get samples with a little discussion so best of luck trying on sample materials 1st.

amy_brown
12-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Be prepared. Once you cut into this stuff it will cup. We actually had the sign break the screw heads off. We used stainless screws.

Too much pressure when it's hogged out, carved, etc. It's was "U" shaped in 3 days.

Might be OK for little stuff but the big stuff doesn't work well.

jhicks
12-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Amy, not sure how much you carved out but I've carved full 8 feet in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4 and experienced some cupping once where a large percentage of the background was relieved for a tree artwork. One does have to consider the "stress relief" in removal of material and IF it does have a major area and/or depth removed, one needs to cut relief areas in the back side to help balance the stress but we generally only cut .100" to .125" deep to get to the core color.
Color core folks can help you with recommendations . Talk to Rich Butler, hes super helpful.
On screw breakage, one must predrill pilot holes to properly secure any screws or mechanical devices. Either clear through holes or undersized if you are relying on the material to hold the screw. Course threads rather than fine are recommended.
It should be mechanically mounted with screws, in channels, or clips as adhesives do not stick. Expansion and contraction charts are available on the web but it moves approximately .200" with a 60 degree temperature fluctuation over a 10 foot length laterally. Pretty stable.Sorry you experienced a problem but like every material, the properties and design stratagies are important to consider for each design challange.
If you have photos, please post or send to me. I would love to see how it turned out.

jhicks
03-03-2006, 08:05 AM
I just received word from the Compression Polymers VYCOM division that makes POLYCARVE. They decided to get out of the 2 color business and are trying to get rid of their surplus inventory. For anyone interested they are ready to "make a deal" on their in stock product to dispose of it but they will not fill any orders once they have sold their stock.
Gary DiFazio is the tech support contact and he can be reached at 845-496-5394 for details.
You can find them at
http://www.cpg-vycom.com/
Called polycarve material
Same company makes the CELTEC material we find useful for sign blanks (Like Komacell) and vacuum Pucks. Closed cell expanded PVC.

jsfrost
03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
I tried some sample cuts on King Colorcore this weekend, and made some progress. On some earlier tests, a dull but still "OK on wood" 90 degree V bit made a hairy plastic mess. In an effort to salvage something usable, after some heavy wire brushing had removed much of the mess, I tried flame polishing with a blowtourch. Very quick passes accomplished a surprisingly good cleanup.
Later cuts with a sharp bit were much cleaner, but still benefitted from a quick pass with the tourch.

jhicks
03-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I have found the best cuts come from ball nose bits, and end mills with a slight radius on the corners .002" which really reduces mill marks. V bits definately do not cut as well/clean but onsrud told me months ago they were trying to develop a v geometry for plastic so there is a bit of a challenge even they haven't worked out.
Flame is a nice idea. Did it reflow the surface? Thats what happened to me but maybe my dwell time was too long.