PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Signs done with ShopBot

Mayo
06-10-2006, 02:32 PM
When we moved into our home, one of the first things I wanted to change was the flat plastic address numbers. I made this sign from rough cedar and signfoam. The outer smooth border is the same boards cut about 1/4" below the surface of the center panel. The center panel has the same stain as the outer border but because it is rough sawn, it soaks up the stain and looks darker. The signfoam numbers are glued into 1/8" deep pockets using silicone. They are painted with semi-gloss latex, kind of almond/bisque color. These were originally cut with a bevel edge using a 60 degree bit, but I was a little heavy with the sanding and rounded them.

The sign was glued up in the center and even though I used a wet rag to clean off the glue, the stain didn't penetrate as deeply there and so it looks lighter.

I almost succeeded at an invisible fastening system although the lightweight aluminum flashing I used for brackets kind of buckled at the top and it reflects the sunlight. I'll paint it with the same color as the siding behind the sign and it will be less obvious.

Everything was cut with a 1/8" bit except for the bevel which I sanded out, and the bevel at the edge of the sign background and center panel.

tuck
06-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Nice job, Mayo! There must be fortunes to be made with address signs like that, me thinks.

Mayo
06-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks Mark.
I don't know about fortunes. I've been trying to find one or two things to make that could support me so that I didn't need a 40hr a week retail job but so far nothing has been flying off the web site or Ebay. I keep trying different things though and one of these days I hope to be on easy street :-)

digitalwoodshop
06-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Mayo, Care to share your eBay user name with us so we can look at your projects? I use "igonavy" on eBay and digitalwoodshop@aol.com (mailto:digitalwoodshop@aol.com).

I am in startup of a Laser Engraving and Sublimation shop doing signs and tourist stuff in Pocono Muntains of PA.

Shop Bot will be the 3rd part of my bussiness in time. Still looking....

Love your sign.... With the sublimation I plan to do color solar powered 911 number signs on eBay. AL