PDA

View Full Version : Additional Equipment Needs...

johnandrhondawebb@netzero.net
04-25-2003, 02:48 AM
I am about to receive the funding I need to buy a PRT96. I need to know what additional equipment I will need to get my shop running.

My initial products will be residential wood signs/sign foam signs, & I figured I would progress from simpler designs to more complex ones as I get familiar with SB operations- then incorporate more 3D, & perhaps progress to cabinetry, doors, beams, & maybe sculpture.

For cutting & finishing signs effectively I figured I'd need to get a table saw to cut the base pieces & perhaps a cross cut saw for framing trim & the like. I have a Mag77 SkilSaw, a jigsaw (both of which I shouldn't need, but who knows?), a finishing sander, & a RotoZip Revolution, but not much else. I'm thinking maybe I should get a detail sander, but the RotoZip can probably handle this. I am also contemplating an airbrush setup, but it looks like a few people are using that 1Shot spraypaint.

From looking at the accessories info., I'm trying to figure out what I need & what I can do without. The dust skirt, Z-zero plate, proximity switch, & perhaps the remote stop seem almost like necessities, but I wouldn't know.

The 3-d probe I figure I can add later, but I'd like to determine how much use any of you guys are getting out of it for signage. Same goes for the remote pendant.

For bits, I need to decide if it makes more sense to get the starter kit or if I should go with end mills. For hold downs, I'm thinking the t-slot system looks the most favorable for the price.

The other thing I need to factor in is the vacuum cannister (I will be getting the dust skirt setup), but I've read the ShopVac filter can be a pain with clogging/cleaning. What other vacs do you recommend?

Sorry for the borage of questions. I hate being clueless! Thanx in advance for any advice you can give- John

graphicmetals
04-25-2003, 07:16 AM
Z-zero plate and prox switches are an absolute must-have, IMO. You will need a dust collection system, and the dust skirt, while it tends to get in the way, works pretty well. For a cheap/simple vac system, we use a Rockwell 2-bag dust collector. It cost about $150.00 at Lowes. Just had to get a metal HVAC adapter (4" to 3" I think) at the local hardware to adapt the ShopBot vacuum hose to the Rockwell.

Regards,
Kevin

gerald_d
04-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Have you remembered the router? And about 2 pints of midnight oil, plus 293 lbs of elbow grease?

04-25-2003, 12:07 PM
I figured on the 3.25HP Porter Cable at 110v, but I'm wavering between that & the Makita, only because of the noise factor. The Columbo would be perfect cuz I already got 220 out there, but the price is untouchable at this time. The Makita is quieter, but may not have the power to cut thicker/tougher materials... which I may get to down the road.

I do have neighbors to consider as the Bot will be in a 50x20 shop & not the best soundproofing... (I'm thinking of throwing up some soundboard or egg carton foam) & we're on a .62AC parcel. For me it's midnight to 3am oil, & I have 20 gallons of it Gerald... cuz I still got my day job & a good one at that... but someday, with my passions & workaholism, I'll be able to stop havin' to commute!

papadaveinwy
04-26-2003, 10:56 AM
John I run a porter cable and to be open about it the noise factor is not that big My shop is right next to a resturant and they can't hear it, in fact the real noisey part of the whole setup is the vacumm system it puts out alot more noise than the Router just not as high of a db pitch.When I shut the double doors (hollow core)leading from the back work shop to the front display and reception room I can talk comfortably with customers while the Bot is running. David in Wyoming

04-26-2003, 11:45 PM
The PC it is! Thanx Dave... now I'm sure with my sound control measures I'll be OK... (not to mention the neighbor guy "hand tools" 1/24 scale model car bodies... wait till I show him how this thing works!... maybe I'll get him to help me pay for it!) What other tools are you using?

bruce_clark
04-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Mr. Webb,

I am going to disagree with David, I personally think the PC 3.25 router is loud as hell! I NEVER run mine without hearing protection. On the upside, I don't think they make a stronger router, period. Made to run and run, will cut though just about anything (with a sharp bit) and easy to change bearings on.

I personally have also had bad luck with the Makita RF1101 router. It is much quieter, but did not hold up long term. It ended up at the repair shop after 2 months because it let all the magic smoke out. Now, I only use it for hand routing.

What I REALLY do like is the Bosch 1617EVS. It is nice and quiet, has good power and has held up very well, long term. The only thing I do not like about it is the fact it is made of magnesium. They toute this as a feature but around here, it oxidizes very quickly and turns powdery and gray and eventually black. A little scotch brite fixes it up, but it still looks bad.

Just my two cents,

Bruce Clark

gerald_d
04-27-2003, 03:39 AM
We mounted this router (http://www.metabousa.com/us/produkte/katalog/die_grinders/6_06303_42_ge700_variable_speed_2_quot_die_grinder .htm) as a "starter" attempt, thinking that we would go heavier when that type of job arrived. Two years later we are still using it! It is inexpensive, quiet, and has good bearings. Drives 1/4" bits with ease, and at 27000 rpm. The long neck is useful for solid mounting.

The theory was that this machine would always be useful around the shop for small flap-wheel work, if it wasn't good enough for the SB. Well, we had to buy a second one to do that, and will probably buy a third one this week. Only one set of brushes and 2 bearing changes in 2.5 years.

tlempicke
04-27-2003, 08:21 AM
And while we are on the subject of routers!!

Does anyone know of a three phase router? Is there any such thing?

A good friend of mine is in the motor control business. I bought a machine that had a three phase motor on it and he was able to supply a Toshiba magic box that turns my single phase into three phase and runs the motor just beautifully.

Here is the kikker - it is infinitely variable speed wise and develops full torque at whatever speed you set. Not only that but the computer brain of the box varies the pulse width such that the motor never overheats. BUT WAIT it gets even better! The box costs less than $500.

If I can find a three phase router I can have a Poor Mans Columbo for a lot less money!

rgbrown@itexas.net
04-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Some of the European routerrs might be three phase. A friend of mine claims he has access to DC spindle motors tht have a greater range of speeds than the Columbo but as yet has failed to produce the literature.

gerald_d
04-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Three phase motors run at fixed speeds according to the frequency of the power supply. A 2-pole motor running on 60Hz will run close to 3600rpm, a 4-pole turns at 1800rpm. The fastest they turn on 60Hz is 3600rpm because you cannot have less than 2 poles.

You can use a magic box to increase the frequency, up to around 400Hz. But a motor designed for 60Hz will start flying apart from the centrifugal forces if you turn it too fast - plus the bearings won't last. Colombo, Perske, et al, are basically 2-pole 3-phase motors, designed for high speed, and have to have magic boxes to increase the frequency.

Tom, those speed controllers do give full torque, but they don't give full power. If you run a 2HP at half of its rated speed, you will only get 1HP out. If you had used pulleys to reduce the speed by half, the torque would have doubled - the electronic box cannot double the torque, only keep it constant.