PDA

View Full Version : Signmakers advice needed

myxpykalix
01-07-2009, 02:59 AM
I usually don't make signs so I need to ask a few questions since i've been asked to make a small one.
A friend owns property here called CHIMNEY RIDGE that was so named from the chimneys that were all that was left of cabins where in 1820 the slaves were freed and given 100 acres each.

He wants a plaque made with that name on it and I have no sense of the type of font that was used back then or what would be appropriate for something like this and if you can give me some font names i can go try to find.

chodges
01-07-2009, 09:22 AM
As a signmaker, I find your project very interesting.

In 1820, there were no machines for making signs, so you can presume that most signs were hand painted on flat surfaces. A few, like grave markers, were hand carved.

With that in mind, I would try for more of a painted look than an elaborately carved look. You could use your ShopBot to cut lettering and shape outlines on a piece of flat material, then use these outlines to guide you as you paint the face.

Most of the really old signs I have seen (mainly in photos) used fonts that resemble either Clarendon or Arial. The exception to this is in areas where there is more of a French influence, like in New Orleans, etc.

Hope this helps!

myxpykalix
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Charlie,
I am in Virginia. I can see Thomas Jefferson's Monticello by stepping outside and looking up on the mountain so your advice has given me a direction to look and to see how they made some signs around there. This is not an elaborate deal so I will check out your font recommendations also.

dakers
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
try this

http://www.goldenstudios.com/americana/am_fonts.html

pappybaynes
01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
On the subject of fonts...can one bring new fonts into PartWorks?? And if so, how is that done???
Thanks in advance.
Dick

don
01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Partworks uses the fonts that are installed on your computer.
To use a new font in partworks, Just install the new font on your computer in the font directory (C:\WINDOWS\Fonts).
Restart Partworks (you may have to reboot your computer also)

pappybaynes
01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
thank you Don!!