PDA

View Full Version : Older Signs

ghostcreek
07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
A customer (remodeling) of mine came with these signs. Has sentimental value more than dollar to him. Really wants me to repair. Easy job to build new. I would like to follow the style on his painted signs. He runs an olive operation, grows, processes and sells. Even has a tasting room! (Little Wine also) Any way, just wanted to show the effects of weather and time on a Sign. These are about 15 years old. Both hard to see, on in Orchard on a hill, 500 feet from road, the other over his tractor shed.

ghostcreek
07-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Sorry, here are photos,

tkovacs
07-16-2009, 09:20 PM
For 15 years they look pretty nice!
Looks like real wood too.

joe
07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I like these signs also. Looks like the ground sign is setting on some healthy posts. I guess you won't need any of my post holes. They come in a handy package of six.

There also good in case you run over a skunk. Throw one down, find a long, long stick and the job is almost done.

I always try to help out, when I can.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

joewino
07-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Do you have anything else to do, Joe?

ghostcreek
07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Do your post holes have a depth? I met 2 rattlesnakes out in this Orchard, would like to get them in deep.
Yes, fair shape. The paint is weathered (we get HOT in the summer, today 108), the split looks like from the glue-up process. I hope there is no rot in the joint. Makes repair without disturbing the carving rough. Real wood, local cedar. Sandblasted signs.

powerlsc
07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Did anyone else read the sign as Mission Lives or am I having a dense momnet?

For the design experts could the olive been incorporated into "lives" diffently or is it just bugging me?

I really like everything about the sign but that one element. For future reference would anyone have approached that in another way?

ghostcreek
07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Good thought Lynn, I asked the owner about that "O", His father designed the sign (which is why he wants it repaired, not new) And he loves the Olive "O". I too would love some thoughts and suggestions.

billp
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
How about a very thin "border" of brown around the olive?

joe
07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Bill,

Your going to get everyone in trouble.

There are two messages here.

"Mission Lives"
"Mission Olives"

"Works fer me, hope it works for you."

joe
07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Raymond,

No

I'm taking time off from the necessary panhandeling.

It's hot and dusty out here on the prairie. Nothing to do out here except swat fly's and doodle around with art.

I've always admired you rich boys, bringing in good money. And acting like it was nothing & wearing those big hats.

Say, isn't it time for your afternoon nap?

joewino
07-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Just got up, Joe. Now, it's time to head out to the bank. I wonder what the poor folks are doing today?

Got any workshops or snake oil you need to promote here?

joe
07-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Nope!

Not today. Stay Tuned.

powerlsc
07-17-2009, 07:45 PM
I agree Bill. It wouldn't compromise the original design but maybe the brown would pull the olive into the word Live.

A capital O could also be where it normally would fall with the olive overlapping it.

Any input from the two wise guys? Just asking because I have a similar design dilemma and am trying to work it through.

joewino
07-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, from this wise guy...I wouldn't try to incorporate the olive graphic into the word "Olive" - just too much conflict.

If the customer just wants to repaint the existing sign there is not much you can do to make it more readable other than putting a similar color outline around the olive as is on the lettering.

Also, one of the reasons that I like to use a dark background for the sandblasted woodgrain is that it doesn't show dirt as much as the white in this sign.

If I were repainting it I would use a dark background and make the lettering white and gold.

Really nice looking to be as old as it is.

ghostcreek
07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Good ideas, leading were it helps. Outlining the olive "O" with letter colors looks good. Thanks, changing the front & back colors might work also. It's amazing the "damage" I can do to a design manipulating it, I can get way away from the original feeling. On this one, I was stuck trying to resize/realign The olive graphic.

powerlsc
07-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Raymond, I only refer to you as wise in the most respectful sense.

You and Joe, as well as some of the other seasoned artisans on this forum, are the online mentors for us unseasoned wanna bees. I look forward to your responses. Otherwise I'd work in a vacuum out here. Thanks.

Michael, post pictures as soon as you resolve the great olive caper.

joewino
07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Lynn...it was taken with the same attitude as it was given. No harm done.

It is an honor to be included in the same category as Joe. He's a master.

We all try to pass on what we know. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

ghostcreek
07-22-2009, 01:06 PM
We removed the sign today. The crack running horizontally was a seam were the pieces were glued together (all 4" wide!). No coating over the paint, I am impressed the paint lasted this long! Up on ladders, all bolts rusted, snapped off, the sign ended up in two pieces (at the crack) and down the ladder we went. The wood has rot and mold growing on it. trying to decide how much labor to restore compared to new. But as I said, client loves these signs. Will update upon solution. Thanks all.