PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasted look

GlenP
11-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. I know this has been a topic one of interest for others in the past. I am going to experiment in creating the look of a sandblasted grain in vcarve pro. The only thing is I have to use real cedar and not hdu for the sign blank. Just wondering if anyone has tried this on cedar and any results or suggestions. If can't get good result then will blast them but really trying to use the bot instead. Have a good one.

dakers
11-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Glen,
our shop used to route simulated grain in signfoam (HDU) signs as large as 4x8ft on a regular basis. we were running the gerber sabre router with 10hp spindle. it seemed we burned up a spindle each year as the router ran all day creating the desired look. We swapped out the burned up columbo spindle at $3,000. each year for about 3 years then we went back to blasting with grain frame to save the wear on the spindle.
that is our experience but others may have a different experience.

rb99
11-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I am wondering about the time it takes to do this type of work...I read someone said they did an intricate piece that was 12"x12" and it took 2 hours so- I have a 4'x 6'= 24 sq.ft.x 2hrs. per sq.ft.= 12 hrs. to cut sign!

How is my math? Does this sound right? What are your speed settings when you are doing the backgrounds?

Thanks,

B

joewino
11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Richard - your times are about right...maybe a bit long unless the artwork is really intricate.

Our experience has the time at about half that, but then the detail we are needing may not be as high as you expect.

This is my slant on the time: I don't care how long it takes because I am not having to cut the mask, break out the sand and sweat under the hood...plus get sand everywhere.

While the ShopBot is running, I'm doing something else, so it is not like I'm using up my time or anyone else's. Whether it takes one hour or six, I've still got the same amount of my labor involved in it.

The prep time for setting up the tool paths is a whole lot less than getting ready to sandblast, plus it is just a lot cleaner.

For the woodgrain backgrounds, we use a 1/8" ball nose at 180 inch/minute at 50% stepover.

dakers
11-28-2008, 05:36 PM
I agree with Raymond on sandblasting. we used to wholesale redwood sandblasted signs nationally but we had a 600 pound clemco with all the bells and whistles and ran a 175cfm compressor. if i had to blast with 5 hp compressor and small pot with no air conditioned mask i would rather burn up the spindle if i had to blast regularly. But it is not bad for 4 hours a month with the smaller equipment. all depends on how much of that type work you have to do on weekly, annual basis. I like to just sell the easier to do stuff like routed letters on flat bkg. when possible.

joe
11-29-2008, 06:42 AM
There's not snafooo way.

However I've found it's easier to reduce the bakground down 1/2" with an Area Clearance strategy, then come behind it with a light sandblast. this gives both the depth needed for quality work and the texture necessary.

Reducing the background down with a sandblaster is cruel work. I did for years and years, cough.

I use a 5hp compressor with glass beads or slag for media.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

jamesgilliam
11-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Richard, I have to agree with Raymond and Dick, sandblasting is no fun. Using your time of two hours for an intricate piece 1 sqft, a piece 24 sqft. would put you at 48 hours, which is too high. I really don't try for a wood grain look to my background, but a hand carved look. Doing a 4'x8' sign, 32sqft, usually cuts in about 10 hours on an older PRT with a router. If you check the site listed on my profile you can see the look I am after. I do it with a .5" ball end mill cutting at 1.5ips, about half the speed Raymond cuts at.

rb99
11-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Could you post a close up of the background for me? The portfolio button on your site is not working...

Thanks,

RB

joewino
11-29-2008, 03:07 PM

This is a closeup of the woodgrain look that we use on a lot of our signs. This is a 7' x 8' sign that we recently installed for a city park.

joewino
11-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Here's the whole sign.

rb99
11-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Nice...

Do you have a smaller sign that you have used it on?

Or a finer grain?

For the project I am working on the grain needs to be fine, or small.

Can you describe how you create this grain and execute it?

Nice work!

RB

joewino
11-29-2008, 03:56 PM
We use ArtCam Pro 2009. The grain can be adjusted to whatever size we want - both the closeness of the grain and how deep it is to be cut.

We begin with a photo of the woodgrain, convert it to a black and white bitmap and then use the software to get to the look we want. ArtCam figures the tool paths to whatever look we want.

dakers
11-29-2008, 09:12 PM
glen here is one we did with artcam using a pin scanner on a model train. the wood grain is not as nice as raymond chapman does. this is how we burned up spindles. just too complicated signs. this one was sprayed with liquid metal. i hope the photo uploaded. I really like the Raymond Chapman wood grain. The best i have ever seen with router for sure.

sailfl
11-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Dick,

Nice sign.

GlenP
11-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Beautiful signs Raymond and Dick. I am going to try some ideas this week. I am really leaning towards Dr. Crumley's way of doing it buy taking the area down and then lightly blast. I am going to try using the bot on some corafoam that a friend gave me and see what happens. I am going to order the new aspire and see if I can do a texture background on a recessed dish, not sure if it is possible have to play with software yet. Thanks to all. Bot on.