PDA

View Full Version : Breezy Oaks before and after

joewino
12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Here's the "before" and "after" views of a small residential sign we just installed this morning.

Although we tried to talk the client out of doing a wood sign with a clear coat, they were insistent that it look like their old sign. It won't last very long in our Texas sun and heat, but they got what they wanted.

Their old sign was pine and routed with a hand held router. We did the replacement in oak and routed it on our ShopBot.

Cost: $300 installed.

butch
12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Raymond
A very nice improvement.
A very nice sign.

Butch

donchapman
12-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Excellence in design and execution at a very reasonable price.

That's true of all your work, Ray, including the signs that cost 10-20 times what this one cost.

This sign shows that inexpensive doesn't have to look cheap.

jamesgilliam
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Raymond, correct me if I am wrong on toolpaths. I am guessing v-carved for th letters and an area clear for the graphic. James

joewino
12-09-2008, 02:28 PM
OK...you're corrected, and wrong.

The lettering and graphic were both area cleared with a 1/8" end mill and then cleaned up with a 1/16" end mill. The thin strokes of the lettering were too small for the 1/8" bit.

After routing, the edge cove was done with a hand held router. Everything was sanded down and then two coats of clear were added. After drying the panel was laid flat and One Shot Lettering Enamel was poured into the letters and trees. It was allowed to dry for four days before we installed it.

The panel is two pieces of oak - glued in the middle....but both pieces are from the same board, so the grain and color are similar.

jhicks
12-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Looks like the Kids shetland pony and hay wagon ride owner sold the ranch and the horse breeder moved in. Much classier.
Nice work and interesting pour/fill technique with the one shot.

nick
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Raymond...did you mask before using the 1 shot or did you free hand?

joewino
12-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Neither...we poured. The graphic was routed about 1/4" inch into the oak and then everything was cleared to keep the paint from having fuzzy edges where it seeped into the grain.

Once the clear was dried we used a plastic ketchup dispensing bottle and just squeezed out the paint into the openings. It self leveled after a minute or so. Sometimes it was necessary to push the paint a little with a small brush to get it to go into the tight corners or small strokes

Whenever a drop of paint got in the wrong place, it was easy just to wipe it off. No mask was used.

Actually, I did very little of it other than the design. My son, Mike, did all the finish work after it came off the ShopBot.