PDA

View Full Version : Glueing MDF to Sign Foam

keith
08-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

I have what hopefully is a quick question, and I couldn't find anything on the forum. I am cutting a 3 ft by 2 ft oval sign. It is made out of sign foam however it will be indoors. I'm using sign foam because the customer already paid for it from another job, and that's what they want. Since I'd rather not bolt anything through the sign foam and have to plug up holes, sand, etc I was going to glue a piece of MDF to the back, and hang it with chain to the MDF. My question is:

Do you feel that gluing (gorilla glue) 1.5 inch thick sign foam to MDF is a suitable solution? Would it hold?

I know compared to MDF, sign foam is fairly light. Has anyone done this before? Would it work? In the end, I have sign foam glued to MDF. Nothing else is used to fasten the sign foam to the MDF. The MDF would be mounted to the wall. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
-Keith

joe
08-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Keith,

It seems to me you'd be well off to consider MDO over MDF and glue it down with standard epoxy.

MDO likes screws much better than MDF and it's much lighter.

keith
08-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm Interesting. I've never used MDO and unfortunately I'm cutting the sign tomorrow. This was a short notice job from my customer. Can I get MDO at a Home Depot or Lowes? I did a quick Google search and it looks to be similar to plywood. If not, I might be stuck with MDF. Either way, would Sign Foam bond (glue) to either MDF or MDO sufficiently to be able to hold its own weight? Thanks again Joe.

ron brown
08-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Keith,

Monkey Glue will bond well to the foam and to the MDF.

Ron

keith
08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
OK great. Thanks everyone!

cartar929
12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Hot Stuff makes an instant glue called Special T. It's an amazing glue for substrates with pores, it holds very strong a reliable. It is also extremely fast when you add the accelerator, takes only about 2.5 seconds to dry and bond. The glues doesn't work that well for metals.