PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight and sturdy EPS

joe
08-07-2009, 09:57 PM
This is my first go with EPS. I designed this one and farmed it out to a local foam company, Tyler Foam, who specializes in Hot Wire cutting. They made the basic structure with embeded pvc posts. Then they hard coated the whole structure with Styro Spray. I routed HDU for texture and background of letters.

I hoppered the surface with acrylic stucco. By having the color embeded it saves lots of time.

Also the stucco hides the insert lines where the HDU is inserted. I can't even tell where the insertion lines are.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

joewino
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, Joe...you've done it again. Great job.

I'm not sure what you mean by "insertion lines".
What is that?

joe
08-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks Raymond,

I should have made that more clear.

This sign is make from HDU and EPS. These are the inset pieces of HDU I was referring to. They were inserted in the recessed area's, and Ron calked around them prior to spraying with the stucco.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

dana_swift
08-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Its looking good Joe! Send us a photo of the final install.

Watching the progress is fascinating.

D&B

lstovall
08-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Fantastic work Joe!

joe
08-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Mr. Stovall is very kind not to mention the trouble I had with the first one of these. I made this exact sign using HDU Precision Board. And it failed. I mean fell apart and Marvin didn't say a thing about all my troubles. The major problem is with wracking. PB is extremely brittle and is sure to crack under any kind of stress.

Ok, now I owe him another thank you. He showed up at my shop about a month or so ago and installed one of those little lazer light things on my CNC. It's helps with setting the X & Y zero location. I couldn't live without it. You only need to locate the lazer on my product, push the setting button and she's ready to go. So Thanks Marvin.

And I had a nice Saturday visit from Dana Swift and his beautiful wife Bev. a couple of weeks ago. We had a good time kicking tires. Anyone with the need for tire kicking is welcome. Wives and kids are most welcome.

Joe

curtiss
08-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Great work again Joe,

Are all those oval signs we see behind the Washington DC people on the news everyday yours ??

...Either that or they are spin offs by someone who has been a spy in your shop...