PDA

View Full Version : Painted Routed Signs

kivimagi
01-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Greetings,

I've been looking through the shopbot forums lately, and I've been impressed with the work many of you do.

I've been curious how routed signs are painted. Especially the ones with great detail. Is this done by hand, or are a complicated set of masks created to spray.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Ryan Kivimagi

stickman
01-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Ryan,

I've wondered this myself. I've been painting by hand with little or not mask. Most of mine has been brush, but I've borrowed an air brush and plan on seeing how that works for me. Most of mine, I plan out the base color, paint the blank that and then rout, painting and touching up after. I've been experimenting with masking materials a little, Shelf liner, doesn't work. The minute the bit hit it, it stipped it from the wood. Do a keyword search here in the forumn for others' ideas.

billp
01-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Guys,
I'm not sure if the "archives'are still intact, but if you use the "keyword search" and type in paint masks you'll find a bunch of information including specific product recommendations, and places to buy them.

jamesgilliam
01-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey Guys,
I have been doing signs and plaques for the last five months. Right now I am hand painting the designs and text and just sanding off what lands on the surface. Tried to spray the paint to save time, but lost time in sanding. If you want to see some of the things I have done this way our site is www.jgremembrances.com (http://www.jgremembrances.com)

artisan
01-04-2004, 12:08 PM
We do tons of complicated signs here. The methods are as varied and involved as the whole carving process can be. The sign industry is somewhat of a secretive brotherhood, but there are industry publications to address the different techniques. I recommend, Signbuilder and Signs of the Times as a place to begin. Signbuilder will often grant you a years free subscription. We use a combination of stencils and hand painting as well as an army of spray tools. Basically, pick your main color, prime and paint your entire piece, then add your detail colors. Make sure you keep enough of your first color to go back and "touch up" the piece. One of the slickest tricks, is to design and fabricate signs in parts, paint them separately, then assemble them and finish coat the entire piece. This produces by far the best looking signs....though it's not always an option. This is my very busiest time of year, but I have and will answer emailed questions as I can. Cheers and good luck....D

prosigns
01-17-2004, 04:44 PM

I sometimes use vinyl instead of paint to finish a sign. This menuboard uses replaceable numbers for price changes, (A little velcro in the well of the price block). I slightly outline the wood sign letters and numbers to make registering the vinyl a little easier. I stain the blank first. Cut and clear coat. Apply vinyl and it's done.

gerald_d
01-18-2004, 02:28 AM
Your vinyl+outline technique very neatly solves the problem of the cutter bit being too big to get into all the corners! Good job!

robtown (Unregistered Guest)
01-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Is this routed or is it a sandblasted sign?
If routed, how are you simulating the blasted "grain" in the relief?

Very clever on the changeable copy.

joe
02-25-2004, 08:16 PM
ProSigns

There has been a movement since the early 80's which is called Letterhead's. It is now international called "Keepers of the Craft". The member growth is amazing.

I don't think you can call us secretive.

Joe

prosigns
02-25-2004, 08:28 PM
ProSigns

There has been a movement since the early 80's which is called Letterhead's. It is now international called "Keepers of the Craft". The member growth is amazing.

I don't think you can call us secretive.

Joe

Hi Joe
I must have missed something. I don't understand the (I don't think you can call us secretive. ). I was only describing how I produced routered signs. I have seen the letterhead Booth @ trade shows, however I haven't had time to go to trade shows the last few yrs. Are you a Member?

joe
02-27-2004, 12:55 AM
ProSigns

Thank you for the post and I must appologise as the message was for another member.

I really do like the display sign you posted. We use allmost the same techniques that you do.

A couple of week ago we began using Hartco sandblast mask. It seems to cut much better on the SB. We use a very small Round Over bit I think it is a 1/4" We outline all copy as you do then sanblast with a 185 CFM Ingerson Rand compressor.

Sorry about the miss post.

joe