PDA

View Full Version : New Old Products.

joe
05-27-2007, 08:55 AM
I try to keep up with the latest finishing, sealing and glueing products.Unfortunately I've left a couple of tried and proven products behind. They were allmost forgotten.

My latest fun stuff is epoxy which come in quart tubs. It has the consistnacy peanut butter. My complaint with regular epoxy is it's lack of gap filling, and it's way too runny. Yes you can whip in thickening fillers but that's a mess. I like the tub epoxy as you can take a pallet knife for filling.

Also there's THICK Instant Glue. Remember the runny stuff which allways stuck your fingers together. Now it comes thick with a catalizer. I bought both bottles at Tractor Supply yesterday for $5. Nice size bottles too.

Durhams Rock Hard Putty. I'd forgotten about this little gem. It only costs a buck or two for a large can. It's absolutely stable and won't expand in water. It can be made a little better with some fiberblass fibers added. This stuff can be used for a woodgrain filler. It tints well with analine dye or any good water based stain when originally mixed. Doesn't take any stain very well once dried. It's a good nitch product.

I'm a regular user of shellac prodcts and got a shocker yesterday when I picked up a gallor of denatured alchohol at Lowe's. Dang it cost $17. I can't believe it. There aren't any substitues for alchohol when thinning shellac.

If you use Kils or Zinzer, alchohol based, and get some on your hands, you better have some thinner ready. It sticks to anything, well almost. Since we use a considerable amount of Extira, these primers are a must.

Everything is costing more.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

jamesgilliam
05-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Joe, You gave the source for the thick instant glue but how about the rest of the things you mentioned? The Durham's putty and the epoxy in a quart tub is what I am most interested in. Thanks

James

joe
05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
James and Jo

Durhams can be purchased at most hardware stores. Ace is a good outlet.

Abracadabra makes Majic Smooth and Majic Sculpt epoxy. The difference is, sculpt is more like pizza dough. It can be rolled out, cut and shaped. Very nice when making flowers, grape clusters & vines, leaves, masks, nuts, dingbats, etc. You get the idea!

Smooth is also epoxy with a peanut butter consistancy. It can be used as an adhesive or for texturing. It can be tinted with lettering enamel. I haven't tried it but could be used for a smalts background.

They're both very good products. Be sure to wear gloves to keep hands from turning dark. You'll have plenty of working time as these set up in about four hours. A cup of Starbucks during the process makes your project come out better. It seems that way for me.
http://www.abracadabrasigns.com/home2.htm

I've been looking tword the wholesale taximermy industry. They also have epoxy materials which could be incorporated into signage.

Good Luck & Happy Routing

J.
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)