PDA

View Full Version : A New Monument sign ready for installation

jhicks
06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
This is a 10' x 5' EPS monument we have manufactured for us by a fellow at Monumental Designs in nearby Bloomington Il. The foam is coated with a scratch coat, fiberglass mesh, brown coat and (EFIS) stucco as finish.
Faux bricks by texture plus are added and all finished to color choice.
We design fabricate and sell the entire design and run the letters and artwork on the bot.
The bridge art is a beveled border around the stone elements, and flat cut as the mortar joint areas. The letters are cut with a 3/16" O flute. Both the bridge and letters are cut from 3/4" medex, and finished in a post catalyzed polyurethane we mix to match color choices.
Parts are added on threaded rods and cemented into the monument and letters with standoffs to elevate the pieces.
We like Monuments and they can be installed by 2 people in 90 minutes or less once the site is prepped.
Just another piece of the sign puzzle we tackle as often as we can find the opportunity.
Whitney gets all the credit for design and fabrication strategy on this one.
She and her husband will soon be moving to ElPaso Tx so if there are any botters who need design talent, let her know.

donchapman
06-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Nicely executed and attractive sign for the light in which it was photographed, but please go into your shop at night and shine a bright spotlight from various angles onto the sign and see what effect the shadows have on the readability of the sign.

What that does is approximate the effect of bright sunlight during the day or spot/flood lights at night after the sign is installed.

You may find the dark shadows of the letters/graphics on the white background compete with your ability to read the stand-off letters and graphics.

The only fixes I know are to reverse the colors of letters/graphics and background or lower the letters/graphics to where the shadow is minimal.

jhicks
06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Very Interesting Input for consideration Don. Thanks, well give that a try and see what the impact is.
I appreciate the advice.

butch
06-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Very nice sign Jerry
Butch

khaos
06-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Jerry, I love the lines and the color coordination on this sign.

joe
06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Looks good to me also Jerry,

I think there is good money using your brains. Got any extra, I could use some.

Joe

brucehiggins
06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Jerry,
Nice work! What font did you use for "Stonebridge"?
Bruce

garyb
06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Nice job Jerry and Whitney.
So Jerry will we see you a little more when Whitney moves south?

handh
06-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Nice job, would love to do something like that. Hopfully we have a prospect, friend of mine that needs a sign for his business.