PDA

View Full Version : Accenting lettering and 3d details

myxpykalix
10-28-2008, 02:00 AM
I've already cut the vcarved letters and the 3d details in a "birth plaque" and didn't think far enough ahead to consider the finish to make the lettering and other details standout.

I don't have steady enough hands to try to paint in the lettering so what type of stain/gel/finish
would be best to try to make the details stand out?
Please don't speak in "shopbot shorthand" as I need as much detail as I can get because i have little finishing experience. Thanks

jamesgilliam
10-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Jack, What I do on the vcarved plaques I make is to just paint in the carved letters, and sand off the "slop" that I get on the surface. Then I finish as I would any other piece of wood. You don't say if the vcarving is on the 3d work. This may not work if it is.

rcnewcomb
10-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm a big fan of glazing on 3D work. Use a lighter shade than you think you need. In the example linked below I used Varathane Cabernet Gel Stain #457

I have an example here at the Vectric forum: Link (http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3039&p=19689&hilit=glazing#p1 9689)

The basic process is:
1. apply a light coat of your favorite finish
2. wipe on the glaze (gel stain) and then wipe it off (the longer it stays on the deeper the color and you can always re-apply if you want it darker)
3. sand using a sanding sponge, sand paper, or scotch-brite pad. All the little crevices will keep the stain and this helps with contrast.
4. when you are satisfied with the look then apply a few more coats of finish.

magic
10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Randall that's a great job.

Are the Comedy / tragedy masks on any of the Vector art 3D disks or is that a file you designed yourself?

magic
10-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Sorry, I got off my big fat keyboard and looked for myself. Yes your sign looks really good.

jamesb
10-31-2008, 09:45 AM
http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index.cfm?q=Theatre is the link for the masks for anyone interested.
Cheers,
James